Senior Character Artist
13 days ago
Senior Character Artist
Employment Type: Full Time
Location: Eugene, OR
Compensation: $87,000 - $104,000 / year
The Senior Character Artist will work closely with the Project Art Director to support various projects on their character design, modeling, and texturing needs with styles ranging from cartoony to realistic.
Day To Day
- Create AAA character models and textures per project needs
- Utilize all the tools and techniques to achieve high detail and high quality to meet project needs
- Understand what the Project Art Director requires for the project, then research, develop, and implement solutions in engine
- Help the art team find answers to difficult problems
- Make strong visually impactful character art and push the envelope when needed
- Work in an organized way and communicate along the way
- Work effectively with other artists and engineers to achieve project goals
- Solve problems to the benefit of the project/team
Skills Knowledge and Expertise
- Understanding of Maya and/or Max
- Unreal experience
- Ability to create character textures within tools such as Substance Designer at a high detail quality
- Ability to create and work off of complete and incomplete character concepts
- Ability to assess suggestions and come up with creative solutions
- Ability to work with others on defining the character pipeline that may or may not rely on an in-game character editor
- Understanding of how animators will work with the character to make strong modeling choices
- Ability to work closely with technical artists to develop new or improved techniques to improve visual quality
- Ability to keep a clear and consistent schedule.
- Ability to work with Tech Artists to find solutions for elements such as hair and cloth
- Strong communication skills
- Comfort showing work in different stages to show progress
- Ability to provide estimates for project planning
- Possess and understanding of bug fixing and investigation
- Experience with Unreal 5
- Ability to use Zbrush or Mudbox
- Ability to rig and weight a character model
- Ability to concept character art
Education & Experience Required
- Any degree or certification in a relevant field, or equivalent work experience
- At least 5 years of experience in a similar role
Candidate should provide portfolio of art that they have created or directed and a resume detailing the projects/studios that they have been a part of.
What We Can Offer You
A Flexible Working Environment
Almost all of our roles allow for your choice of work location. We're happy to support our team no matter where they prefer to work: remote, in office, or hybrid.
- Medical, Dental, and Vision
- 401K with employer match
- Employer Paid Life Insurance Policy
- Generous Paid Time Off
- 20 Paid Company Holidays in 2024
- Paid Parental Leave
- Employee Assistance Program
- Fitness Club Discounts
- Sports Team Sponsorship
- Annual Company Events
- Project Wrap Parties
A Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.
Pipeworks Studios recognizes the importance of creating an environment where all of our employees feel included and empowered to bring ideas to the the table. We value each employee's unique experiences and perspectives and recognize that it is both the smart and right thing to foster diversity, equity and inclusion within our organization.
By diversifying our workforce, increasing equity, and ensuring that our individual differences are valued, we are better able to deliver an experience that reflects, inspires, and connects with our audience... because games are for everyone!
Pipeworks provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, citizenship status, disability, or any protected category prohibited by local, state or federal laws.
Go to Pipeworks.com to see some of our continued efforts and our 2022 Diversity Report.
Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply for jobs unless they believe they meet every one of the qualifications in a job description. Our top priority is finding the best candidate for the job and if you are interested in the position, we would encourage you to apply, even if you don’t believe you meet every one of the qualifications below.