Senior Character Artist - New World, New World
14 days ago
Amazon Games is looking for a 3D Character Artist to join our New World team in Sunny Irvine, CA. In New World, players will fight for survival as they explore and conquer the mysterious island of Aeternum.
In this role you will work closely with the character team and concept team to execute high quality assets, by adhering to the high visual standards and vision set by the Art Director and Art Lead for both character design and organic modeling. You will have strong knowledge of all aspects of character creation, and be a hardworking self-motivated team player that brings future heroes to life. You will be proficient in character creation and character systems for AAA third person action games. You should have a solid sense of vision and passion to create high quality assets that delight our customers.
If the opportunity to help create Amazon’s next big hit is the challenge you have been looking for, we want to hear from you!
What you will do:
- Work closely with the Art Director and Associate Art Director to execute the artistic vision of the game
- Must have deep understanding of the development of the character visual style / pipeline for outfit, weapon, and creature to deliver cutting edge assets
- Contribute the development of the character visual style/pipeline for outfits, weapons, and creatures to deliver cutting-edge assets
- Able to follow direction and react to critiques in a timely manner
- Collaborate with the concept, character, animation and tech art teams.
- Contribute to the references, concepts, and art direction, while also having the initiative to take the work further
- Work closely with the team and external partners to ensure that quality is consistent and cohesive
- Increase the team’s skills through mentorship and artistic techniques
Amazon Games applies the principles of Amazonian culture to the world of game design. We have a diverse team of talented, creative people pairing their love of making games with the unique strengths that come with being part of Amazon. Across all of our teams and locations, we are united by a common purpose: to share great gaming experiences with customers around the world. We believe in a future where everyone is a gamer and everyone can create, compete, collaborate and connect through games, and we are looking for the right people to help us build that future. With the power of Twitch and AWS at your fingertips, you will have the chance to innovate in gameplay, creativity, marketing, and technology, while working alongside some of the smartest and most creative minds in the industry.
Inclusive Culture, Work/Life Balance, & Career Growth
Here at Amazon, we embrace our differences and are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We offer ten employee-led affinity groups with 190 global chapters, innovative benefits, and annual and ongoing learning experiences (including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences). Our team also puts a high value on work-life balance and offers flexible working hours. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. Additionally, our team is dedicated to supporting you with mentorship and pathways for ongoing development. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and are building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and promotes career choice.
We are open to hiring candidates to work out of one of the following locations:
Irvine, CA, USA
- Shipped 1+ PC/Console title as a Character Artist
- 3+ years of experience in AAA game development (PC and/or console) or equivalent work e.g. live product development
- Online Portfolio demonstrating character art skills
- Bachelors Degree in related field or Equivalent Experience
- Passion for making and playing games!
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.
- You have proficient knowledge of Unreal Engine, Maya / Modo / MudBox / ZBrush, Marvelous Designer, Substance Painter or equivalent package.
- Solid knowledge of next generation asset creation pipelines, tools, software.
- Strong grasp of form, shape, structure, and silhouette as they relate to modeling and gameplay.
- Thorough understanding of anatomy and how characters move when rigged.
- Solid knowledge of working with PBR shaders, normal/spec/diffuse maps to get the best look within game engine technical limits/constraints.
- Great eye for light, shade, color, and detail in creating texture maps.
- Able to create assets under supervision that fulfil the needs of rigging, animation, and design to ensure clean handoff for assets.
- Able to articulate pipeline needs developing new or improve upon technologies to improve character team quality and output
- Ability to learn new tools and techniques.
- Able to accurately estimate the time to complete tasks.
- Ability to mentor and share knowledge effectively.
- Meets/exceeds Amazon’s leadership principles requirements for this role.
- Meets/exceeds Amazon’s functional/technical depth and complexity for this role.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Our compensation reflects the cost of labor across several US geographic markets. The base pay for this position ranges from $66,900/year in our lowest geographic market up to $161,000/year in our highest geographic market. Pay is based on a number of factors including market location and may vary depending on job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. Amazon is a total compensation company. Dependent on the position offered, equity, sign-on payments, and other forms of compensation may be provided as part of a total compensation package, in addition to a full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits. For more information, please visit https://www.aboutamazon.com/workplace/employee-benefits. This position will remain posted until filled. Applicants should apply via our internal or external career site.