Quest Design Intern
Irvine, CA, United States
8 days ago
Internship Term: 2020
QUEST DESIGN INTERN
Greetings, students! We’re geared up here to offer another round of epic internship experiences in 2020. The internship program offers the opportunity to pause your studies for one summer and work side-by-side with Blizzard Entertainment employees in your area of interest, doing real work that oftentimes ends up in production. As such, we hold you to the same high standards as anybody else in the company.
Just like our gameplay experiences, Blizzard internships are a fully immersive experience. We want interns who are enthusiastic about what they want to do for a living and excited to come in every day to learn and contribute in this hyper-creative atmosphere. Being fully engaged with our team also means communicating effectively and maintaining an open mind - one that is receptive to feedback and able to adapt and grow. Your hobbies and interests can also play in your favor. Passion for technology, gaming, game development, and an in-depth knowledge of Blizzard games, products, and services will always be a plus with us, regardless of the position you’re applying for. Be passionate about who you are, be into our industry, and be willing to go all-in and embrace this opportunity to the fullest!
The Diablo team is looking for a passionate and hungry individual, with a love of gameplay and storytelling, to help us create play areas, quests, characters, and dialogue for an upcoming project. The ideal candidate must be able to collaborate within design, audio, localization, and engineering groups to efficiently and creatively implement quest-focused content and write compelling game narrative with a basic understanding of how story translates into gameplay.
- Currently enrolled in a college or university
- Returning for at least one more semester or quarter following the summer 2020 internship
- Able to work fulltime hours for 11 – 12 weeks at the Blizzard office indicated in this job posting between May 2020– August 2020 or June 2020 – September 2020 (group dates depend on when you get out of school)
- Authorized to work in the US
- Knowledge of Blizzard worlds and gameplay—specifically, the gothic fantasy of Diablo
- Willingness to learn the fundamentals of quest design, including key gameplay concepts, pacing, and character voice
- Basic grasp of the styles of writing that work best for dark fantasy and gothic horror role-playing games
- Willingness to craft quests, stories, characters, and events within a dark fantasy and gothic horror-based world
- Some experience with world building and writing for role playing games
- Able to communicate effectively, inspire creativity, and describe scenes to a wide variety of individuals and perspectives
- Able to work to maintain a positive attitude in a driven, highly collaborative and iterative team environment.
- Knowledge of successful intellectual properties in dark fantasy and gothic horror genres, and the ability to speak to what made them successful
- Experience with scripting languages like as LUA or Python
- Working knowledge of technical writing and editing
- Knowledge of and experience creating of RPG maps and points of interest within a shared world
- Experience creating and running pen and paper RPG campaigns, and/or live-action RPGs.
- Cover letter, including:
- What games you are currently playing
- Your experience with PC and console role-playing games.
WARNING! Applications that do not include all of the required materials will not be considered. We’re serious about this – due to the volume of applications we receive, we only have time to consider complete submittals.
Blizzard Entertainment is a global company committed to growing our employees. We offer generous benefits and perks with an eye on providing true work / life balance. We’ve worked hard to champion an intensely collaborative and creative environment, a diverse and inclusive employee culture, and training and opportunity for professional growth. Our people are everything. Our core values are real, and our mission has never changed.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We are dedicated to creating the most epic entertainment experiences...ever. Join us!
Submit your application no later than December 2, 2019.