Quality Assurance Analyst - Contract
15 days ago
Jackbox is a medium-sized game studio (~74 people) best known for the Jackbox Party Pack franchise: a set of five social party games released every fall. Since 2014, our games--like Quiplash, Drawful, and Trivia Murder Party-- have been featured on The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon, by a variety of media outlets from The Washington Post to Polygon, and in living rooms and finished basements across the world.
Over the last few years, we have had hundreds of millions of users. And we have hard evidence that one of those users was Academy Award-winner Charlize Theron.
You can learn everything you ever wanted to know about how our games work (spoiler: your phone is the controller!) and who we are and what we make at jackboxgames.com.
What’s the Job?
Everyone hates bugs in video games, right? At Jackbox Games, Quality Assurance Analysts are tasked with testing games and other software to find defects and ensuring that those defects get resolved. However, it should be obvious that this position isn’t just about playing games; we want someone who is passionate about games, has an eye for detail, understands the intricacies of video game consoles, can creatively challenge edge cases in software, and, when issues are found, will accurately, thoroughly, and succinctly document them for the production team to resolve. In short, we want someone who can help us deliver the best possible product to our great fans. We are looking for someone to support us through our pack 10 development. We estimate the contact to end around October 1, 2023 (depending on start date).
- Discover and document game issues across multiple platforms
- Write clear and concise bug reports
- Develop test plans
- Find and reliably reproduce game issues
- Work across departments to communicate QA needs
- Efficiently regress bugs and verify fixes
- Capture game video for development team to review
- Consult with the Customer Service department to communicate QA needs.
And it would be nice if you also have…
- Experience working with bug tracking software (JIRA, Bugzilla, etc.)
- QA or software development experience on a shipped video game
- Proficiency with game-capture software programs
- Experience with all major video game consoles
- Experience (or interest in) running external focus-group style testing sessions
- Some basic scripting or programming experience
- Experience with automation tools
- Experience with customer support and/or community management
- Experience with party and social games
- Experience with agile development
- Experience with testing and debugging websites
- Experience with creating and maintaining departmental documentation
We value kind and creative people who are willing to work hard. Jackbox Games is a group effort and you must work collaboratively. Everyone here shares a commitment to excellence and a desire to work in a comfortable, friendly atmosphere.
Jackbox Games is committed to providing employment opportunities without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, ancestry, age, veteran status, or disability.
- I'm not sure if I'm qualified. Should I apply?
- We would much rather read your application than miss out on a great candidate, so please err on the side of applying. If you are passionate about quality assurance, go for it!
- What if I’m too qualified and have extensive work experience?
- You should still apply. We are looking for the best candidates and we will adjust responsibilities (and compensation) to match your experience.
- Do I need to live in the Chicago area for this position?
- No, this will be a remote position.
- Will there be an opportunity for a full time job after the contract ends?
- Yes. However, completing a contract does not guarantee full time employment. Candidates that show exemplary work during their contract may be offered a full time position, and are always taken into consideration for job openings in the future.
- How many hours of work are expected for this position?
- 40 hours per week
- What is the compensation for this position?
- $25 per hour
Great, we look forward to reading your application. Make sure you include:
- Your resume.
- A cover letter. We weigh cover letters heavily, so you can (and should) write more about your background and how it prepared you for this position, but we won’t evaluate applicants who don’t at least answer these questions:
- Why are you interested in working with Jackbox Games?
- What is a game you played last year and what did you like about it? What would you have done to improve the experience for the player?
We know it is a time commitment to prepare an application and we respect that effort by thoughtfully reviewing every complete application and responding one way or the other. But that kind of thoughtful review means that it sometimes takes us a while to get back to applicants, so please be patient with us and no phone calls.
Thanks for your interest in Jackbox Games!
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.