Product Design Manager, Growth
12 days ago
Discord is looking for a highly creative, hands-on and mission-driven Product Design Manager to lead design in our Growth organization.
Your role will be to manage, hire and inspire a growing team of passionate designers that have a meaningful impact at Discord. You'll help the team put the user first, coaching designers through our process, and focusing the team on the highest impact problems with the best solutions. You will be an essential member of design leadership. You thrive on collaborating and take great enjoyment in working to improve people, product, and process.
What you'll be doing
- Build a team of highly-engaged designers by hiring, coaching and instilling a sense of ownership and impact.
- Provide direction and guidance of product designers' output, promote partnerships and design process. You'll influence product strategy and ensure product execution for our Growth organization.
- Apply your technical expertise to constantly raise the bar and ensure your team achieves extraordinary results at the high technical level we set.
- Occasionally you will be hands-on with the design work, pitching in from time to time help support your team and keep them focused on deeper work, however this is primarily a management role (especially as the team grows larger).
- Adjust team composition and eventually creating new teams to adapt to changing needs or tuning team dynamics.
- Make sound first-principle decisions around resourcing, and making the rationale clear to partners and team members.
- Partner with other design leaders on strategic planning and to continuously improve the Design organization and uphold our workplace philosophy.
- Partner with Engineering to develop core component frameworks and best-practices.
What you should have
- You have 2+ years of experience as a Design Manager and managed at least 2 Product Designers.
- A portfolio of work you've designed and shipped as well as examples of work you delivered by your team that you helped to direct.
- 4+ years experience in multi-platform digital products as a Product Designer (or similar role).
- An enjoyment of people leadership. This include recruiting, training and developing, organization design, and leading by example.
- You thrive in ambiguous environments and get excited about figuring out solutions to complex problems, and then executing on them.
- You are a first principles thinker that can work with others to come up with pragmatic solutions.
- Designing yourself does not scare you, you are still a designer even if you don't do it all the time.
- You keep up with the industry trends and can assess new tools and techniques.
- History of collaborating with engineers and product managers.
Benefits and Perks
- Comprehensive medical insurance including Health, Dental and Vision (plus up to $20,000 for gender affirmation procedures)
- Mental health resources and quarterly wellness stipends
- 16 paid holidays, 4 weeks of PTO, use-what-you-need sick days and volunteer time off
- Paid parental leave (plus fertility, adoption and other family planning benefits)
- Generous stipends for headphones, your remote work setup, and lunch on a daily basis (while we’re all remote)
- Flexible long-term work options (remote and hybrid)
- A diverse slate of Employee Resource Groups
- Plus commuter contributions and other perks for office-based employees
Discord is a voice, video and text app that helps friends and communities come together to hang out and explore their interests — from artists and activists, to study groups, sneakerheads, plant parents, and more. With 150 million monthly users across 19 million active communities, called servers, Discord has grown to become one of the most popular communications services in the world. Discord was built without selling ads or user data and instead, offers a premium subscription called Nitro that gives users special perks like higher quality streams and fun customizations.
In a world of polarization, social curation, and loneliness, Discord is working toward an inclusive world where no one feels like an outsider. We believe in the value of genuine human connection, which can so easily be lost online. So we’re building a space where everyone can find belonging from the inside out. If this strikes a chord with you, come build belonging with us!
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.