Principal Character Artist
Novato CA US
7 days ago
PRINCIPAL CHARACTER ARTIST
Who We Are:
We’re starting up a new team here at 2K to – surprise! – make a video game. We are a small, scrappy group with a ton of ambition AND the resources to see it realized. That’s pretty rare these days. Think of us like a well-funded startup but without all the gross tech culture trappings. This is an opportunity to join an incredible project on the ground floor.
We’re also hard at work creating a supportive and inclusive culture. Here’s what’s important to us:
Honesty. We do our best to tell it like it is. No information hoarding. No passive-aggressive manipulation. We care about keeping the lines of communication open and uncluttered.
Diversity. Games are better when they are created by people of diverse backgrounds and experiences. Accessibility matters to us – and this is just about mechanics. All players should be able to relate to the experience we’re creating. And we can’t be more accessible if we’re not actively trying to increase representation on the team and in our game.
Collaboration. So this is on every job posting ever and then the experience is totally the opposite. We’re going to do our best to mean what we say. We’re not sticking people into discipline silos. You’ll probably be working in a pod – collaborating (see!) with people from diverse disciplines and backgrounds.
Opportunity. We believe that people good at what they do shouldn’t be promoted out of their discipline. They should be recognized and rewarded for their talents, not prevented from doing what they excel at. As a result, we’ve instituted a Principal track. You can continue being amazing at what you do without feeling like you’ve hit a dead end or missed out.
Your well-being. Work-life balance is important to us and assume it’s important to you. We’re going to do our best to avoid a lot of the traditional pitfalls that lead to crunch. We’re not into negative reinforcement or creating a culture of fear.
What We Need:
Do you love inspiring others and tackling challenging assignments head on? Do you have passion for modeling amazing characters and creatures? We want you to set the example, leading efforts to help us populate a new and fantastical world. We are looking for an exceptionally skilled senior 3D character modeling artist to join our team. Candidates should have extensive experience working with modeling/sculpting tools to achieve photorealistic as well as stylized characters. You will be expected to assist Lead Character Artist and Art Director in the overall look and feel of a wide variety of characters and carry the vision forward.
What You Will Do:
- Create top-quality character-related models and textures from concept or references to help set the quality bar for our project
- Work closely with Character Lead to maintain quality and style consistent across all characters
- Help to develop best practices for art creation pipeline
- Manage own time and work efficiently within production deadlines
- Work within cross discipline strike teams on collaborative assignments, including Tech art, Animators, VFX artist and Designers
Who We Think Will Be A Great Fit:
- Must have shipped multiple titles, ideally using Unreal or a comparable engine. (e.g. Frostbyte, Crytech, idTech, etc.)
- Excellent texturing skills in Substance Painter and/or Photoshop in a PBR workflow
- Excellent modeling, sculpting and UV mapping skills in ZBrush, Maya, and/or 3DS Max
- A strong understanding of form, shape, structure, and silhouette in regard to modeling. An exceptional understanding of anatomy and caricature
- Experience developing/shipping AAA first person shooters a plus!
- Self-motivation, good communications skills, and a great team-player attitude
- A superior eye for contrast, color, and detail in creating textures
- A background in traditional arts and media
- Experience with facial shapes a plus!
- Experience creating clothing and hair
- Someone with a love for research, reference, and documenting your findings to share with the team