Principal Art Director
16 days ago
At Wizards of the Coast, we connect people around the world through play and imagination. From our genre defining games like Magic: The Gathering® and Dungeons & Dragons® to our growing multiverse, we continue to innovate and build new ways to foster friendship and connection. That’s where you come in!
Are you interested in driving the visual direction for the Dungeons & Dragons RPG and leading a team of dedicated art professionals? Do you have a background in art direction as well as graphic design and layout for various media including print? If so, good news!
We create role-playing game (RPG) content and experiences that inspire millions of people to play and adventure together! Passionate, collaborative Art Directors like you are key to continue growing and evolving D&D.
This leadership role is responsible for running an already prolific art pipeline for beloved D&D products, growing talent and continuing to cultivate partnerships with freelance artists to support a constantly growing business. You and your team will be instrumental in shaping the future of this world-renowned and leading RPG.
What you'll do:
- Drive the strategic vision for the look-and-feel of the Dungeons & Dragons RPG and related IP in coordination with Principal Art Directors on sister teams. Build visual design strategies and guides and advocate across the organization.
- Lead a team of illustrators, graphic designers, and concept artists. Guide their activities, pipeline, and quality bar.
- Work with senior producers to allocate resources and build schedules.
- As the leader of the D&D RPG art team, collaborate with Marketing, Digital, and other internal teams and external partners.
- Drive strategy to develop critical visual designs for marketing and retail discovery (key art, print product covers and packaging imagery).
- Serve as a member of the RPG Studio leadership team.
- Be a steward of visual quality on our products.
What you’ll bring:
This position is best suited to someone with a combination of art direction, graphic design, and management experience. Familiarity with fantasy artwork or experience working on a fantasy brand is a must. Knowledge of D&D product lines and content is strongly preferred.
- 8+ years serving on creative teams as a visual arts professional.
- 4+ years of management experience.
- A portfolio of incredible fantasy artwork which you have led. This includes but is not limited to characters, creatures, environments, architecture, items, and costumes, equipment and gear.
- Knowledge of the pre-press process for books and printed materials preferred.
- Experience in graphic design, concept art, or commissioning freelance artists preferred.
- Ability to prioritize and multi-task in a dynamic, fast paced environment that revolves around multiple product development timelines and demands.
- Ability to coordinate a multi-functional team, assessing issues to facilitate solutions.
- Excellent verbal, visual and written communicator, including representing art vision to executive leadership and key partners.
- Studio Leadership: Work with other department heads in the studio to set strategic direction for the D&D product line and related IPs
- D&D Digital Art Team: Work with the Digital Principal Art Director and others to develop a consistent look-and-feel of D&D products.
- Product Leads: Collaborate with the Product Lead and Game Designers to shepherd products to completion
- Production: Work with Producers to improve and expand art pipeline as part of overall product pipeline and practices
We are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer
The above is intended to describe the general content of and the requirements for satisfactory performance in this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of the duties, responsibilities, or requirements of the position.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. If you are selected to move forward in our application process and need to request an accommodation, please let your recruiter or coordinator know.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.