This job might no longer be available.
3 months ago
Discord is growing fast and we’re building a legal organization to help shape and scale our product. The legal team is a key part of what helps Discord grow and plays an important part in how our company grows and evolves. We’re a passionate, smart, and kind group of people who need more experts to continue making Discord the best place to talk.
As Discord’s Director of Policy you’ll play a key role in guiding Discord forward on all things policy as we launch new products and expand our user base across the world.
You'll provide positive outcomes across all three pillars of our Policy work:
- Develop platform policies on the wide range of topics that apply to our 140M+ users around the world, as described in our current Community Guidelines ;
- Give product policy advice on questions that arise in our product development work;
- Guide our public policy efforts, including analysis and advocacy on legislative and regulatory developments relevant to our users, our products, and our business.
You'll report to our Chief Legal Officer and get to work with creative people, including our Trust & Safety leads, Community Moderators, Product Managers, and Engineering leaders. Together, you'll form a team whose main goal is to ensure our users understand the rules for content and behavior on Discord and have a safe and positive experience using our service. Over time you'll help ensure that Discord users, and partners, policymakers, and the media, trust our service and respect our company.
If this sounds like a fun challenge, please read on ...
What You’ll be Doing
- Guide the development of platform policies that serve our users and align with our values and business model
- Work with Discord's Trust & Safety team that's responsible for implementing our platform policies and resolving user concerns that may indicate the need for new or amended policies
- Advise on product development topics from the user's perspective with a focus on protecting user safety and well-being
- Represent us in relevant industry associations and coalitions
- Bring external perspectives back to the company to inform our product roadmap, platform policies, moderation and anti-abuse tools, and public policy priorities
- Monitor public policy and regulatory developments around the world, and identify the latest trends that are relevant to our users, products, and business
- Develop multi-year action plans for each of our public policy priorities
- Work with Discord's executives and our Legal, Product, and Communications teams to maintain understanding between our corporate strategy and our policy goals
- Recruit and develop a "small but mighty" team of policy professionals responsible for researching, writing, and iterating on our platform policies under your guidance
What You Should Have:
- 7+ years of experience working directly on designing and driving successful implementation of global policies covering online content and behavior for a major online platform
- Experience with how personal communications services and social media platforms work and the laws and policies that apply to them
- An ability to comprehend complex public policy proposals and determine their effects for our users, products, and operations
- Enthusiastic to engage on complex topics with diverse audiences including Discord user groups, peer companies, government officials, civil society groups, academic researchers, and the media
- Impeccable integrity and a deep commitment to diversity, inclusion, and belonging
- Operational experience on a Trust & Safety or Product team for a major online platform
- Research or academic experience in the field of online safety
- A record of productive contribution to an industry coalition or standard-setting group
- Experience designing multi-year advocacy plans to achieve a legislative or regulatory outcome
Benefits and Perks
- Medical insurance including Health, Dental, Vision
- 18 paid holidays
- Unlimited sick days
- Parental Leave and fertility benefits
- Supported-employee clubs and Employee Resource Groups
- Commuter Contributions of $270 a month (pretax)
- Monthly gym and fitness stipend
Friends, coworkers, gamers, nerds, parents, engineers, artists, marketers. Originally, we created Discord to help people come together around games. It's been amazing to watch it grow into what it is today -- a place where millions of diverse communities exist and people connect with friends old and new. Diversity, inclusiveness, and trust are a critical part of how we get to what's next. As we continue to grow, our values keep us dedicated to building a company that is representative of the world we live and play in.
Discord is an equal opportunity employer committed to promoting an inclusive work environment free of discrimination and harassment. We aim to provide a sense of belonging for everyone.