Manager, Market Insights & Competitive Intelligence
12 days ago
Job Title:Manager, Market Insights & Competitive Intelligence
Job Title: Manager, Market Insights & Competitive Intelligence – Activision Publishing
Reporting To: Director, Strategy & Business Intelligence
Department: Market Insights & Competitive Intelligence
Location: Santa Monica, CA
Founded in 1979, Activision has continuously disrupted the world of entertainment as a leader in the videogame industry. With a history of delivering iconic game changers -- like Pitfall ® , Tony Hawk ®, Guitar Hero ®, Crash Bandicoot™, Skylanders ™ and Call of Duty ® -- our obsesion is delighting our players around the globe. Focused and committed to innovation, we consistently deliver the most beloved, engaging and successful entertainment.
And while we have world-class franchises, infrastructure and resources, our success comes from a passionate, talented and diverse team of people producing greatness together. So, if you’re interested in our biggest priority, it’s our people.
We’re currently driving the next era for our company and community by creating amazing experiences for fans and continuing to make Activision an inclusive place where everyone can thrive.
Join us, make history. To learn more, check us out at www.activision.com, www.activisiongamesblog.com or @Activision on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn.
As a Manager, Market Insights & Competitive Intelligence (MICI) you will play a key, active role on a high caliber broader insights team uniting market, audience, and player insights to inform our products and business. As part of the MICI team, you will specifically be tasked with leveraging multiple external and internal data sources to bring relevant market insights to life, while keeping a close eye on the market to spot trends and competitor moves we need to be aware of.
You will bring both a strong analytical mindset, as well as a deep knowledge of the gaming industry and competitor titles. You will also be comfortable bounding between the creative and analytical, able to interact with creatives at the studio as easily as you will with our finance teams and business leaders.
Priorities can often change in a fast-paced environment like ours, so this role includes, but is not limited to, the following responsibilities:
- Market Insights & Forecasting
- Analyze and understand trends and market forecasts in gaming across all relevant platforms and business models relevant to Activision Publishing
- Independently distill insights from analyses, connecting dots across different topics, driving to actions & recommendations
- Manage data databases and work cross functionally on enabling other groups to interpret and best use data, building relationships and bringing insights to other’s work
- Leverage data & tools in creating hypotheses and to bolster conversations & meetings with relevant additional data & information
- Lead annual market forecast project, proactively tracking trends and building consensus among organizational stakeholders, while supporting Sr. Analyst in generation of analyses and materials
- Competitive Intelligence and Design support
- Track competitor titles and proactively identify key insights and stakeholders in the organization for whom information may be most relevant
- Tear down and identify key game and design systems that could improve our products, work with product teams and stakeholders to elevate most relevant insights and recommendations
- Lead organizational dissemination of information, analyses, and reports; proactively building awareness of work and expanding reach of team’s output and insights
- Creatively blend internal and external data to rapidly size opportunities and where missing, work with external vendors and peers in organization to bridge and solve going forward
- Manage day-to-day key vendor relatioinships, building trust and identifying areas of opportunity in their product or other services in the market to bolster our market coverage
- Project & Stakeholder Management
- Partner and/or lead cross-functional teams on key projects and initiatives around opportunities sourced from player and market data
- Build increased points of integrations across insights groups, finding ways to elevate market work with player insights and user research data, and vice versa
- Lead presentations, driving the narrative, framing, and slide design to succinctly articulate the key messages to executives and designers alike
- Develop a deep understanding of Call of Duty franchise across platforms to be able to engage with business partners with relevant, accurate, and actionable recommendations
- BA or BS (pre-MBA) with 5+ years of work experience, ideally with some combination of experience in management consulting, investment banking, private equity, and/or corporate development and strategy at a leading media or technology company.
- Deep knowledge of gaming space, you love games and can speak to what makes the good ones great
Knowledge & Skills
- Exceptional quantitative skills and financial acumen
- Advanced proficiency with analytical tools such as Microsoft Excel with proven modelling experience and in synthesizing data for an executive audience
- Experience presenting to senior organizational stakeholders and leading cross functional teams
- Proven ability to manage junior team members within team or cross-functionally
- Strong project management experience, having owned major initiatives or projects end-to-end
- Interest and passion for interactive entertainment and technology with the ability to learn complex industry topics quickly
- Persuasive communication skills, both written and verbal, particularly the ability to develop coherent argument and present them concisely to a range of stakeholders
Activision Blizzard, Inc. (NASDAQ: ATVI), is one of the world's largest and most successful interactive entertainment companies and is at the intersection of media, technology and entertainment. We are home to some of the most beloved entertainment franchises including Call of Duty ®, World of Warcraft® , Overwatch ®, Diablo ®, Candy Crush ™ and Bubble Witch ™. Our combined entertainment network delights hundreds of millions of monthly active users in 196 countries, making us the largest gaming network on the planet!
Our ability to build immersive and innovate worlds is only enhanced by diverse teams working in an inclusive environment. We aspire to have a culture where everyone can thrive in order to connect and engage the world through epic entertainment. We provide a suite of benefits that promote physical, emotional and financial well-being for ‘Every World’ - we’ve got our employees covered!
The videogame industry and therefore our business is fast-paced and will continue to evolve. As such, the duties and responsibilities of this role may be changed as directed by the Company at any time to promote and support our business and relationships with industry partners.
Activision is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.