Manager, Data Engineering
Vancouver British Columbia Canada
6 days ago
Lead Data Engineer – GAI
We are EA
And we make games – how cool is that? In fact, we entertain millions of people across the globe with the most amazing and immersive interactive software in the industry. But making games is challenging work. That’s why we employ the most creative, passionate people in the industry.
The EA Global Analytics and Insights group (GAI) is responsible for bringing both quantitative and qualitative insights to the entire company, via Consumer Insights, User Experience Research, Studio Analytics, Marketing Analytics and Data Science. The GAI Operations team is the internal cross functional team covering both Research & Analytics, driving the most optimized and effective ways of delivering our integrated actionable insights. As we lead both strategic and tactical initiatives across the GAI Organization, we are accountable for ensuring the Research & Analytics teams have the tech, tools and collaboration they need to constantly improve our capabilities and effectiveness of delivery.
The Challenge Ahead
We are seeking a hands-on Development Team Leader, leading a team of highly skilled data engineers and delivering complex “ Big Data ” development projects for internal systems across a variety of products and technologies.
As an experienced Development Team Leader, whilst being highly technical and hands-on capable, you will lead development projects across numerous Industry Standard “Big Data” technologies. Managing the successful delivery of projects will require you to plan, coordinate and lead activities across the full delivery lifecycle. This will include working closely with the team’s Project Managers, data architects and analysts, as well as liaising with key project stakeholders as required.
Working closely with other team leaders you will ensure the structured and coordinated planning of your team’s development. Your technical background and experience will ensure you can offer the support and guidance required, being able to support and assist developers at code level.
To apply for this role
You must have a proven technical capability and a track record in software development combined with experience in the leadership of software development teams, large and small with diverse skills and experience. You are a motivated individual who is experienced in taking responsibility and can independently deliver results on both departmental and business projects.
Your primary responsibilities will include, but not be limited to:
Selecting and integrating any Big Data tools and frameworks required to provide requested capabilities.
- Work with big data developers to build scalable and supportable infrastructure.
- Working closely with Technical Director and Data Architect to produce accurate delivery estimates and manage the transition from analysis through to design and delivery
- Design, model, develop and maintain data sets to support reporting analytics and exploratory analysis.
- Inspire the team to continue technical skills development.
- Inspire the team to innovate .
What a Lead Data Engineer at EA does:
Capable of understanding and contributing to the technical solution from design through to code level
- Contribute to technical design and ongoing development of our custom ETL solutions and analytics platforms and help drive continuous improvement of design and delivery standards.
- Assess, recommend and support the implementation available and emerging big data technologies.
- Participate in in-depth conversations with stakeholders to understand their business needs and priorities and promote and explain the use of our platform among analytics teams and other internal groups.
- Provide regular and effective progress updates to and work closely with the Technical Director to ensure the management of any delivery risks or issues
- Participate in reviews and meetings and provide updates on project progress
- Take responsibility for ensuring that risks and issues are identified and managed closely and drive all stakeholders to deliver on time and to the required quality standards
- Work closely with relevant teams internally to ensure alignment and coordination across operations as part of the seamless implementation of existing and new systems
- Contribute to post implementation reviews helping to demonstrate success
- Ownership, development and management of allocated departmental processes
- Work on a wide range of projects involving the implementation of new and existing systems, solutions and processes
Our next Lead Data Engineer at EA will have:
- A Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in computer science or software engineering
- Experience of people management and the ability to lead and influence others
- Experience in personal development planning as well as individual, team and process performance management
- Proven experience in leading and managing the delivery of system/software development projects in a structured and fast-paced environment
- Experience in a variety of software development approaches and methodologies including Agile and Waterfall
- Experience in both architecture and implementation-level software design
- Experience in requirements capture, analysis techniques and process improvement approaches
- Experience working with big data technologies including HDFS, Hive, Spark, Storm and Impala.
- Experience in the development of software using C#, .Net and SQL Server technologies
- Experience in the physical and logical design of database architecture for relational databases, data warehouses and data lakes.
- Experience with database optimization, data replication, database recovery, DR failover and H/A solutions and performance tuning.
- Experience with distributed computing using a cloud-based tech stack on platforms such as AWS and Azure.
- Strong facilitation and coaching skills
- Excellent personal organization and ability to prioritize and carry out multiple tasks
- Able to influence and drive projects to meet key milestones and overcome challenges
- Comfortable working without routine supervision
- A desire to remain technically capable and an expert in current technologies
What’s in it for you? Glad you asked!
Working at EA is fun – what else would you expect from a company that exists to inspire the world to play? On top of getting free games, our employees have access to a dynamic work environment and lots of perks – like access to fitness benefits globally, onsite fitness centers at some of our largest locations, ride-to-work schemes, discount programs, and more! Your health and wellbeing are a top priority at EA – that’s why EA provides access to great health care coverage and our very own “wellbEAing program.” With employees all over the world, we ensure these programs are reflective of the local market and can meet your needs wherever you are. And because we know that wellbeing involves financial security, we offer programs that include – depending on your location – retirement plans, employee stock purchase plans, financial planning, life insurance and/or disability coverage.
More about our location: https://www.ea.com/careers/careers-overview/vancouver
EA is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status or veteran status. We will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law.