Lighting Artist - Intermediate & Senior
21 days ago
Tangent Animation is expanding and looking for a Senior Lighting Artist to join our team. If you're excited about having the opportunity to create visually stunning lighting scenarios for feature animation as well as being up for the challenge to exercise your problem-solving abilities along the way, then definitely get in contact!
You’ll get to experience a completely new and modern workflow that uses as procedural node-based approach with Pixar’s Universal Scene Description combined with Blender's open-source renderer Cycles. The role requires collaborating with a growing team creating key light-rigs for sequences and complex shots with guidance from the Lighting Supervisor and Lead, as well as working with other upstream departments closely.
- Work with the Lighting Supervisor and Director of Photography to interpret color keys and lighting style of the production
- Meet production deadlines and communicate clearly with production management
- Work with upstream departments (shot finalling and VFX) to ensure elements are being delivered correctly
- Create key light rigs and help junior artists propagate lighting to child shots
- Maintain expected render time and quality consistent with the production
- Communicate and work to resolve inefficiencies with the Lighting Supervisor or Lighting Lead
- Strong sense of composition, light and color theory
- 1 to 5 years work experience in animation
- Maintain strong balance between artistic and technical skill, with thorough understanding of Animation workflow
- Strong knowledge of procedural node-based lighting tools (Houdini Solaris, Gaffer, Katana) and production ready render engines (Cycles, Arnold, VRay or Renderman)
- Strong knowledge of procedural node-based compositing tools (Nuke, Fusion or Gaffer)
- Detailed knowledge of the concepts of Universal Scene Description a strong plus
- Ability to render, optimise and integrate complex volumetric FX elements
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, particularly the ability to use positive tone and attitude to diffuse conflict, provide solutions, and cultivate a fun and productive working environment
Nice to have:
- Be eager to take on smaller sequences or one-off complex shots and work mostly independent on them with direction from the Lighting Lead or Supervisor
Please include portfolios/demo reels and resume with your application.
Tangent Animation is a high-end feature animation studio focused on delivering the best creative with the industries top talent.
Tangent Animation is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age. We are committed to providing reasonable accommodation upon request for candidates taking part in the recruitment process.
Tangent Animation is a high-end feature animation studio focused on delivering the best creative with the industries top talent. Our locations are Winnipeg, Toronto, and Vancouver.
We thank you for your interest, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.