Level Artist (Senior)
Toronto ON ca
7 days ago
Ubisoft Toronto Inc.
224 Wallace Avenue. M6H 1V7
Location of position: Toronto, Ontario
Ubisoft is committed to enriching players’ lives with original and memorable gaming experiences. We create worlds where people can express themselves, explore, and discover new possibilities.
Ubisoft Toronto was founded in 2010 and has contributed to many award-winning Ubisoft brands including: Assassin’s Creed®, Far Cry®, For HonorTM, Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell®, and Watch Dogs®. In 2018, the team at Ubisoft Toronto developed its first new IP, Starlink: Battle for Atlas, and is leading development of Watch Dogs: Legion. Ubisoft Toronto is one of Canada’s Top Employers for Young People in 2020.
Are you looking to work with enthusiastic experts who are tackling game-changing challenges in entertainment and beyond? At Ubisoft, we offer an open environment where bright ideas have a chance to shine and everyone is eager to share knowledge.
Challenge accepted? Join us and Create the Unknown.
On being a Level Artist at Ubisoft Toronto
As a Level Artist at Ubisoft Toronto, you will create captivating 3D environments within an immersive world waiting to be explored. You will be an environment architect, a visual storyteller, and an experience maker wrapped into one. Be it in a level, side mission, or piece of an open-world map, you assemble and position key elements to deliver impactful visual moments and enhance the player experience.
Every asset you carefully place, from a building to a prop, tells a story and evokes an atmosphere and a mood. Even within a given framework, you can push creative boundaries and you have the artistic ability to do so. You know how to modify lighting, play around with composition, and add just the right amount of detail to develop a game space with plenty of personality.
Type of Position: Permanent, full-time.
The daily life of a Level Artist at Ubisoft Toronto
- Collaborate with level designers and the art director to discuss and understand game intentions and vision;
- Perform artistic research (find written descriptions and visual references);
- Set up placeholders and submit modelling and texturing requests to artists, follow up on the progress and quality of the work with the Project leader - Graphic;
- Find balance between artistic aspects and technical constraints;
- Integrate and build assets into the game engine to set and dress a polished scene;
- Ensure integrated work is aligned with the artistic direction and makes sense gameplay-wise (test and improve);
- Understand the game design documents to know the environments, objectives, atmospheres, story and style to create game levels;
- Understand project tools and their functions, the project file classification system and the process to update engine data and follow all instructions from the Graphic technical director;
- Assess level content with the immediate supervisor and establish time and planning estimates by priority and level;
- Build the rough map of the level with the level designer to show the preliminary graphic intentions, gameplays and ensure they are approved;
- Carry out all other related tasks.
What it takes to make it
- College diploma in 3D Art techniques for video games or equivalent training or experience;
- Minimum 5+ years’ experience in modelling, texture, lighting and image processing or other relevant experience;
- Experience in an art role on 1-3 AAA game production cycles;
- Knowledge of image composition, lighting, colour theory;
- Strong storytelling and observation skills;
- Knowledge of 3D software (e.g. 3DS Max or Maya) and optimization techniques
- Basic gameplay and level design knowledge;
- Knowledge of ways to create atmospheres (lighting, artistic composition, etc.).
Nice to have
- Ability to accept feedback and adapt to change;
- Sense of initiative;
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills;
- Ability to work as part of a team;
- Curiosity, flexibility, and resourcefulness;
- Creativity and a keen eye for detail!
· Competitive Salary
· Comprehensive Benefits Package:
o Disability Insurance
o Dental Insurance
o Extended medical insurance
o (Optional) RRSP contribution
o Relocation Assistance
o Bonus (If Applicable)
Why Ubisoft Toronto?
Located in Toronto's up-and-coming Junction Triangle neighbourhood since 2010, Ubisoft Toronto is a studio full of passionate and experienced game developers focused on making innovative and exciting games. With over 35 languages spoken, Ubisoft Toronto is as diverse as the booming city it calls home. At Ubisoft Toronto, we are passionate about positive culture. We host monthly team celebrations, organize events for employees and their families, and we offer a variety of health and wellness initiatives like on-site yoga, on-site occupational therapists, flexible days, and an abundance of fresh fruit to promote a balanced life.
Ubisoft Toronto conducts annual performance reviews to help our team develop their careers and grow with our studio, and we provide the opportunity for salary increases annually as part of the performance review process. Ubisoft Toronto also offers a comprehensive health benefits package, generous RRSP matching, industry education support, training, and career development.
Join us and see for yourself why Ubisoft is rated one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers, and one of Canada’s Top Employers for Young People multiple years running!
At Ubisoft Toronto, we look for people who are excited to create the future of games in one of the most diverse cities in the world. We believe that embracing our differences helps us build stronger creative teams and develop better games for all players.
We are an equal-opportunity employer and welcome applications from all interested candidates. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous people, racialized people, neurodivergent people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.
We are committed to providing reasonable accommodation for people with disability upon request.
If this sounds like your kind of studio, what are you waiting for? Apply to join us now!
We thank you for your interest, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No agencies please.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.