Legal, IP & Business Affairs Associate (Network & Retail)
16 days ago
PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play — it’s also the Best Place to Work. Today, we’re recognised as a global leader in entertainment producing The PlayStation family of products and services including PlayStation®5, PlayStation®4, PlayStation®VR, PlayStation®Plus, PlayStation™Now, acclaimed PlayStation software titles from PlayStation Studios, and more.
PlayStation also strives to create an inclusive environment that empowers employees and embraces diversity. We welcome and encourage everyone who has a passion and curiosity for innovation, technology, and play to explore our open positions and join our growing global team.
The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
SIE (London) is looking for a lawyer to join its Global Legal, IP & Business Affairs team to support operations across UK, Europe, Middle East, Russia, India and Oceania. This position is with the consumer practice area providing advice on a broad range of consumer related issues, with particular focus on the network and retail areas of the business.
Working with teams including product development, engineering, safety and customer services you would support all elements of the PlayStation®Network business with advice on diverse issues including product and service development, consumer laws and regulatory matters and advise on retailer issues relating to the online sale of physical goods and digital content and services.
What you'll be doing:
- Collaborating with and advising multiple stakeholders across the global business, including product, engineering, commerce and consumer services teams, on the legal issues impacting the PlayStation Network and SIE’s retail businesses.
- Advising in relation to new product and feature development having regard to platform liability, manufacturer liability, retailer liability, consumer protection, and child protection.
- Assisting in the response to regulator investigations and court proceedings relating to alleged breaches of consumer protection law (including unfair terms and unfair commercial practices). This may include working closely with external counsel in multiple jurisdictions.
- Supporting the customer services team and providing advice in respect of consumer complaints and claims.
- Drafting consumer facing documentation and influencing internal policy regarding use of the PlayStation Network and related products and services. Relevant areas of focus include consumer rights and remedies, user generated content, virtual currency, eMoney and payment services.
- Reviewing and drafting commercial contracts as required.
What we're looking for:
- Qualified lawyer of PQE 2-4 years+.
- Legal expertise in the areas highlighted above including e-commerce, consumer protection and eMoney.
- Someone who can provide pragmatic day-to-day and strategic advice to minimise legal risks while advancing business goals and initiatives.
- An active member of a global legal team who can work closely with colleagues in USA, Japan, Hong Kong and Korea to provide global legal advice to the business.
- An interest in or knowledge of the games industry (advantageous but not essential).
- Effective communication skills – strong ability to explain complex legal issues in basic terms for the non-legal stakeholders across the company.
- An ability to manage multiple tasks and projects with a keen eye for detail.
- Relationship builder, who can communicate at different levels of the organisation effectively.
- Intellectual bandwidth to manage multiple stakeholders across geographies and functional specialisms.
- Ability to thrive in a team environment.
- In-house experience (not essential).
- Sense of humour.
- Discretionary bonus opportunity
- Private Medical Insurance
- Dental Scheme
- London Allowance (if applicable)
- 25 days holiday per year
- On Site Gym
- Subsidised Café
- Free soft drinks
- On site bar
- Access to cycle garage and showers
Equal Opportunity Statement:
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender (including gender identity, gender expression and gender reassignment), race (including colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin), religion or belief, marital or civil partnership status, disability, age, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity, trade union membership or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.