9 months ago
At Improbable, we’re bringing together technology and games to create new opportunities and experiences. In order to achieve this, we need unique perspectives from diverse people, empowered to revolutionise how online games are made, delivered and paid for.
We believe one of the biggest, most impactful changes to the way we live our lives is going to come from the medium of games. Realising new communities, societies and vocations through virtual worlds is what drives our people and gives them purpose.
Improbable is building a founding team in the U.S. to deliver on a number of active projects to the US Government. This team is comprised of experienced, versatile and entrepreneurial individuals that want to help solve some of the most critical challenges that face our government. As the first in-house Legal Counsel for this business unit, you will build a resilient foundational core of legal compliance and be the authority on all legal aspects of the US business.
Areas for Impact
- Participate in the definition and development of corporate policies, procedures and programs and provides continuing counsel and guidance on legal matters and on legal implications of all matters.
- Draft, review, and negotiate a variety of transactional agreements related to all major business transactions, including both commercial and governmental contracts and licensing agreements.
- Ensure that the company conducts its business in compliance with applicable laws and regulations, particularly in areas such as privacy, securities, export control (ITAR, EAR), and human resources.
- Structure and manage the company’s internal legal function and staff and liaises with London-based legal team when required.
- Work with outside counsel on major complex issues and oversees the selection, retention, management and evaluation of all outside counsel.
- Advise on legal aspects of the company’s financing, including assessing and advising on current and future business structures and legal entities
We’d like to hear from you if you identify with the following
- Member of Virginia bar, or other U.S. state bar and qualified as in-house counsel in Virginia
- Minimum 7 + years related experience at a law firm or comparable in-house or government position (combination preferred).
- Outstanding analytical, communication and organizational skills, including excellent drafting and negotiation skills.
- Sound business judgement, strong work ethic and flexibility/adaptability to manage multiple wide-ranging matters, conflicting deadlines, and new areas of expertise as business needs change.
- Capable of providing practical legal advice to members of business teams at all levels.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively to build and support a growing team.
- Demonstrated experience in software licensing, contract negotiations, and government contracting (including FAR, DFARS, ITAR, and EAR) and managing compliance with applicable laws and regulations.
- Strong attention to detail
While we think the above experience could be important, we’re keen to hear from people that believe they have valuable experience to bring to the role. If you identify with the team and mission, but not all of our requirements, then please still apply!!
The best ideas are often the least expected and require new ways of thinking; that’s why our teams at Improbable are made up of an incredible range of talented people. Improbable is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, colour, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any other legally protected status.