Lead Web Engineer, Player Experience
1 month ago
WHAT MAKES US EPIC?
At the core of Epic’s success are talented, passionate people. Epic prides itself on creating a collaborative, welcoming, and creative environment. Whether it’s building award-winning games or crafting engine technology that enables others to make visually stunning interactive experiences, we’re always innovating.
Being Epic means being a part of a team that continually strives to do right by our community and users. We’re constantly innovating to raise the bar of engine and game development.
What We Do
Driving the plug-in power behind Unreal Engine 5. We bridge connections for licensees and our own internal game teams to online services. This allows games like Fortnite to utilize a combination of online platform services as well as Epic’s own online services to build cross-platform online features. Login, parties, voice chat, matchmaking, purchasing, cloud storage, and analytics are just a few examples of online features that our Online Game Services team helps games utilize.
What You'll Do
As part of a Player Experience team, the Tech Lead, Player Experience is accountable for the engineering behind web-based products to serve both the agents of an internal support tool and player-facing support site.
You will be responsible for driving the high-level architectural discussions, proactively removing roadblocks and ensuring the external development team has all the knowledge and resources to deliver to Epic’s high quality and standards. In addition, you’ll support the products that are essential to resolving the problems of millions of players and provide support to thousands of agents to work more efficiently and productively.
This role will require active participation in the tech lead community, surfacing challenges and bringing back standards and solutions to the team, clearly communicating the value and reasoning behind them. In addition, you will be responsible for driving engineering excellence of the external development team, ensuring alignment with Epic’s standards, and holding a high bar for performance, as well as actively coaching the team to level up their technical capabilities.
In this role, you will
- Work with Player Experience and contracting teams to develop first class support tools
- Actively contribute to the team’s codebase and technical artifacts
- Provide technical expertise, architectural and design directions & reviews and ensure Player Experience support tools are aligned with Epic’s standards and engineering processes
- Own the teams technical strategy and roadmap and ensure the technical architecture is ready to support defined long term vision
- Be involved in the daily development processes and contribute and lead in technical topics by constantly considering the impact on Players and support Agents
- Run code reviews and ensure code review healthiness
- Identify & reduce technical debt and technical complexity
- Create standards and requirements for third party API/services integrations
- Work across the full stack depending on where you can drive the highest impact, including front-end frameworks, back-end services, infrastructure and tooling
- Support the Engineering Director in evaluating individual performance of external developers
- Lead the technical efforts of our European contracting team
What we're looking for
- Experience in a technical leadership role
- Experience developing and working with customer facing products and tools
- Experience in developing online systems (we use AWS, Typescript, and React)
- Proven track record of operating live services
- Experience working with a team of globally distributed engineers and contractors to solve large and ambiguous problems
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.
Epic Games spans across 19 countries with 55 studios and 4,500+ employees globally. For over 25 years, we’ve been making award-winning games and engine technology that empowers others to make visually stunning games and 3D content that bring environments to life like never before. Epic’s award-winning Unreal Engine technology not only provides game developers the ability to build high-fidelity, interactive experiences for PC, console, mobile, and VR, it is also a tool being embraced by content creators across a variety of industries such as media and entertainment, automotive, and architectural design. As we continue to build our Engine technology and develop remarkable games, we strive to build teams of world-class talent.
Like what you hear? Come be a part of something Epic!
Epic Games deeply values diverse teams and an inclusive work culture, and we are proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. Learn more about our Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Policy here.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Epic does not accept any unsolicited resumes or approaches from any unauthorized third party (including recruitment or placement agencies) (i.e., a third party with whom we do not have a negotiated and validly executed agreement). We will not pay any fees to any unauthorized third party. Further details on these matters can be found here.