Lead VFX Artist
18 days ago
Crystal Dynamics is constantly seeking the best gaming talent worldwide to add to our 30-plus year legacy of AAAA game development creating new and iconic franchises. We are committed to making great games with great people and living the dream while doing it.
Benefits for our full-time positions include, but are not limited to, a competitive regional salary, 100% employer-paid medical, dental, and vision insurance options, professional development reimbursement perk, flexible hybrid on-site/off-site work opportunities, 12 company paid holidays, plus additional paid days in December when the studio is closed for holiday break, and the ability to accrue weeks of personal paid time-off.
Join us and shape the future of an amazing studio culture committed to creating award-winning franchises like Tomb Raider, the next Perfect Dark , and more!
Lead VFX Artist
Crystal Dynamics is seeking a talented and experienced Lead VFX Artist to drive the visual effects creation for a small incubation team in Bellevue, WA. The successful candidate will possess a passion for gaming, a portfolio of high-quality visual effects, and the leadership skills necessary to guide a growing team in creating visually impactful VFX.
As a Lead VFX Artist, you will...
- Lead the creation and implementation of high-quality visual effects that align with the game’s artistic and technical vision. This includes crafting intricate simulations, creating stunning particle effects, and integrating these elements seamlessly into the game through deep understanding of various game systems.
- Apply a strong mathematical foundation to the creation of VFX, enabling you to design and implement visually stunning effects that also align with gameplay requirements.
- Utilize advanced technical skills in Unreal Engine, Niagara, Houdini, and Sequencer to develop and integrate high-impact visual effects.
- Develop and optimize VFX workflows, ensuring efficient utilization of resources and maintaining high visual impact.
- Collaborate effectively with various teams within the studio, including Design, Art, and Engineering, to ensure the seamless integration of visual effects into the game.
- Contribute to the team as an individual contributor while preparing to transition into a management role overseeing a small VFX team as the team grows.
- Cultivate strong relationships and effectively manage workflows with external partners.
- Document best practices and workflows for internal and external teams.
- Collaborate with recruiting on the hiring efforts for the rest of the internal VFX team.
To be considered for this role, you must have...
- Proven experience in a VFX artist role within the games industry, with at least one shipped AAA title where you contributed as a Senior or Lead.
- Demonstrated ability to take ownership of VFX projects from concept to completion.
- A strong portfolio showcasing your best VFX work, demonstrating both technical skills and creative abilities.
- Expertise integrating VFX into Unreal Engine and experience with either Niagara or Houdini. Candidates with experience in similar proprietary engines/tools that demonstrate a skill level that meets or exceeds our needs, will also be considered.
- Proficiency in VFX workflows, tooling, and game system integration, combined with a strong mathematical foundation to collaborate and partner with engineering effectively.
- Proven ability to work autonomously, delivering high-quality results with minimal supervision, as well as adaptable team player who is comfortable collaborating with others to achieve shared goals.
- Excellent communication skills, with the ability to explain complex VFX concepts to diverse audiences.
It’ll be a bonus if you also have:
- Strong leadership skills and have managed a small team or strike team.
- Experience with Sequencer .
- Familiarity in partnering with outsourcing.
The pay range for this role includes the annual base salary, not including bonus and the generous benefits package that Crystal Dynamics provides all full-time employees. Individual compensation is determined by work location within our approved states, as well as additional factors, including job related skills, experience, and relevant education. Your recruiter will be able to share more information about total compensation.
$110,000 — $160,000 USD
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.
Not sure if you are qualified? We hope that you will still choose to apply so we may review your application!
Crystal Dynamics is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to identifying and implementing positive and persistent measures to ensure equal opportunity in the recruitment, hiring, development, training, promotion and compensation of a diverse team employee group. This includes persons of different race, color, creed, religion, sex, gender identity or gender expression, pregnancy, breastfeeding or medical conditions related to breastfeeding, genetic characteristic, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, medical condition, political affiliation, age, veteran status, uniform service member status, marital status, physical or mental disability, or citizenship, as well as any other classifications protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
By submitting an application, you acknowledge that you have read and understand Crystal Dynamics’s Privacy Notice available at https://www.crystald.com/legal/privacy/.