Lead Software Engineer - Tools - Overwatch
6 days ago
Job Title:Lead Software Engineer - Tools - Overwatch
Lead Software Engineer, Tools
Soldiers, scientists, adventurers, oddities…engineers! We are the Overwatch team, passionate gamers at heart, and we’re looking for a new hero to help us make Overwatch 2 - the globe-spanning sequel to Blizzard Entertainment’s acclaimed team-based game.
We are seeking a talented, motivated, and experienced Lead Software Engineer who shares our values:
- We take responsibility for delivering our work.
- We collaborate constantly, helping each other to be successful.
- We continuously improve our knowledge, workflows and processes.
- We communicate openly, calling out issues, opportunities, and sharing feedback.
- We have integrity, maintain confidentiality, and share a sense of ownership in our success.
- We have passion for the game, our players, quality work, and technology.
This philosophy, along with the Blizzard values of “Gameplay First” and “Play Nice, Play Fair,” has made Overwatch one of Blizzard's most successful games, and it has forged a bond of trust with our worldwide player community that is extremely important to us.
In this role, you will set a vision for building exceptional Tools that empower the Overwatch development team. As a leader you will inspire and guide some of the most talented and passionate engineers in the industry as your team builds that technology together.
Location – Irvine, Albany, Austin, preferred; also open to permanent remote option.
- Oversee technical direction of the Tools architecture, to improve both performance and usability.
- Drive the development of new tools and improvements to existing ones, with a focus on workflow consistency and user experience.
- Evaluate and upgrade the technical skills of engineers on the engine team.
- Serve as an active partner in the game team's leadership.
- Maintain effective relationships with key internal and industry partners
- Previous leadership experience or demonstrated leadership potential
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience in AAA game development
- Passion for playing and making video games
- Strong programming skills
- Deep understanding of engine performance, scalability, and maintainability
- Experience creating or extending reusable engine technology
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
Please note: If you feel you don’t meet all requirements but are equipped with most, we still encourage you to apply. We welcome the opportunity to open a dialog to be considered.
- Previous experience working on first-person or other action-oriented games.
- Computer science or related degree
- Passion for technology
- Familiarity with Blizzard games
We provide a suite of benefits that promote physical, emotional and financial well-being for ‘Every World’ - we’ve got our employees covered! Subject to eligibility requirements, the Company offers comprehensive benefits including:
- Medical, dental, vision, health savings account or health reimbursement account, healthcare spending accounts, dependent care spending accounts, life and AD&D insurance, disability insurance;
- 401(k) with Company match, tuition reimbursement, charitable donation matching;
- Paid holidays and vacation, paid sick time, floating holidays, compassion and bereavement leaves, parental leave;
- Mental health & wellbeing programs, fitness programs, free and discounted games, and a variety of other voluntary benefit programs like supplemental life & disability, legal service, ID protection, rental insurance, and others;
- If the Company requires that you move geographic locations for the job, then you may also be eligible for relocation assistance.
Eligibility to participate in these benefits may vary for part time and temporary full-time employees and interns with the Company. You can learn more by visiting https://www.benefitsforeveryworld.com/ .In the U.S., the standard base pay range for this role is $121,500.00 - $224,880.00 Annual. This base pay range is for the U.S. and is not applicable to locations outside of the U.S. Actual amounts will vary depending on experience, performance and location. In addition to a competitive base pay, employees in this role may be eligible for incentive compensation. Incentive compensation is not guaranteed.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.