Lead Software Engineer, Server - World of Warcraft
13 days ago
Team Name:World of Warcraft
Job Title:Lead Software Engineer, Server - World of Warcraft
The World of Warcraft team is seeking an engineer to join our Server leadership team. You will work closely with our other server leads, server engineers, and live operations producers to build the future of World of Warcraft server architecture. You will also work closely with other engineering teams, Design, QA, Production, and our Customer Support teams to ensure our servers provide the best service and features to the players of World of Warcraft around the globe.
In this role, you will build and support collaborative connections with the rest of the team, manage and guide the development of server engineers, and help the team establish technical vision and processes. The ideal candidate prioritizes collaboration and service to partner teams, understands server engineering, and wants every engineer on their team to have the best job on Earth. This position will join our three current leads on the Server team.
As we look for the fourth lead on the team, we are excited to be able to consider candidates with less direct experience in leadership roles. If you are an aspiring leader, we would be thrilled to see your application. Don't meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single qualification in the job posting. At Activision Blizzard, we are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment, so we strongly encourage anyone to apply even if you don't believe you meet every single qualification outlined. We also do our best to ensure all applications received are responded to.
Blizzard Entertainment is a global company committed to growing our employees along with the business. We offer competitive benefits and strive for a healthy work / life balance. We work hard to foster a deeply collaborative and creative environment, a diverse and inclusive employee culture, and training and opportunity for professional growth. Our people are everything, and we are dedicated to creating the most epic entertainment experiences… ever. Join us!
This role is anticipated to be a hybrid work position, with some work on-site and some work-from- home. The home studio for this role is Irvine, CA.
What you will do…
- Manage, mentor, and evaluate a team of software engineers
- Work with production and the team to manage project schedules and backlog
- Champion work / life balance for the team
- Ensure a level of service to WoW players
- Evolve and enhance WoW deployment pipelines, technologies, and approaches
- Collaborate with other disciplines and engineering teams to iterate on and modernize our development process
- Work with the technical and design directors and producers to create product roadmaps
- Manage a healthy relationship with non-engineering teams and external partners
- Promote and contribute to a culture of diversity and inclusion
To succeed, you must have…
- Strong communication and collaboration skills
- Experience performing in a senior software engineering role or equivalent
We’re also interested in hearing stories you may have about…
- Working with Linux and/or Databases
- Understanding of how Massively Multiplayer Games, or other Client/Server architectures
- Experience working with cloud-based solutions
- Experience implementing multiplayer gameplay
- Optimizing the performance of live services
- Improving the reliability of a service used by others
We provide a suite of benefits that promote physical, emotional and financial well-being for ‘Every World’ - we’ve got our employees covered! Subject to eligibility requirements, the Company offers comprehensive benefits including:
- Medical, dental, vision, health savings account or health reimbursement account, healthcare spending accounts, dependent care spending accounts, life and AD&D insurance, disability insurance;
- 401(k) with Company match, tuition reimbursement, charitable donation matching;
- Paid holidays and vacation, paid sick time, floating holidays, compassion and bereavement leaves, parental leave;
- Mental health & wellbeing programs, fitness programs, free and discounted games, and a variety of other voluntary benefit programs like supplemental life & disability, legal service, ID protection, rental insurance, and others;
- If the Company requires that you move geographic locations for the job, then you may also be eligible for relocation assistance.
Eligibility to participate in these benefits may vary for part time and temporary full-time employees and interns with the Company. You can learn more by visiting https://www.benefitsforeveryworld.com/ .In the U.S., the standard base pay range for this role is $121,500.00 - $224,880.00 Annual. This base pay range is for the U.S. and is not applicable to locations outside of the U.S. Actual amounts will vary depending on experience, performance and location. In addition to a competitive base pay, employees in this role may be eligible for incentive compensation. Incentive compensation is not guaranteed.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.