Lead Narrative Gameplay Animator
16 days ago
That’s No Moon is an independent AAA game development studio established in 2021 by veterans of some of the most recognizable and critically acclaimed creative teams in the world, including Naughty Dog, Infinity Ward, Santa Monica Studio, Bungie, PlayStation, and more. A remote-friendly studio with a central office and performance capture stage located in Los Angeles, That’s No Moon is creating the next generation of narrative-driven, genre-defining experiences built upon a culture of creativity, collaboration, responsible production practices, and individual empowerment. We are assembling a diverse team of passionate developers of a wide range of experience levels and backgrounds to help shape the future of our studio and projects.
We are looking for a Lead Narrative Gameplay Animator with a passion and drive for creating incredible animations for a AAA title. Expect to manage a team of animators to ensure the highest quality and in-game functionality. This person will collaborate with other departments and key roles such as the Animation Director, Camera Layout, Design, Tech Art and Stage. Drive the animation effort in supporting immersive, narrative moments throughout the game. This role will contribute to the unified goal of creating scripted animations that are functional, narrative driven, fluid and will tie into cinematics and gameplay seamlessly.
- Create and integrate AAA quality animations that reflect the game design goals and mechanics using Unreal Engine 5
- Use motion capture optimally and hand-key appropriately
- Work closely with Animation, Camera Layout, Engineering and Design
- Oversee narrative moments for all levels with scripted events and custom animations as well as being an individual contributor
- Create and maintain motion lists in collaboration with other departments
- Support the creation and maintenance of an Unreal pipeline for scripted events
- Lead and mentor a team of Narrative Gameplay Animators to ensure that animations are cohesive with cinematics and gameplay
- Work at the highest level, technically and aesthetically
- Be proactive with troubleshooting any animation workflow, rigging and pipeline issues
- Communicate effectively with animators, engineers and design, to give and accept feedback
- Assist in establishing standard methodologies in animation
- Participate in motion capture shoots when needed
Requirements & Skills:
- Proven Lead experience working with motion capture data and hand-key animation in the game industry
- Working knowledge of Unreal Engine, with an emphasis on animation and Sequencer
- Ability to create and lead in all aspects of animation including biped, quadruped and vehicles
- Demo reel showing an understanding of animation principles, while including gameplay
- Experienced with specific gameplay animation editing including blending, cycles and layering
- Expert knowledge of previsualization and cinematography principles
- Expert knowledge of Maya
- Experience with creating and integrating scripted animations in engine
- Proven ability to successfully lead an Animation team
- Passionate about games and the enthusiasm to make the best!
- Strong problem-solving and interpersonal skills
- Flexibility in switching tasks to accommodate production priorities
- Ability to appreciate other department's perspectives
- Maintain integrity and confidence in results-oriented times
- Empathic and respected senior member of the team
- Team oriented with a desire to assist other animators
- Promote inclusivity, diversity and fairness
- Practice patience and be open to giving and receiving feedback
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.
That's No Moon is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, ancestry, color, citizenship, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, pregnancy, age, national origin, disability status, legally protected physical or mental disability, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.