Lead Material Artist
1 month ago
As a Lead material Artist at Ubi Quebec, you'll guide the creation of the textures that add depth and dimension to characters, objects, and environments. You’ll oversee and support a talented team of texture artists in applying the details that make an immersive world come alive.
You’re a well-rounded team ambassador: an expert communicator, collaboration encourager, and not to mention a skilled artist. You understand the texturing process along with its (at times, many) technical and artistic constraints. You’re able to step in to coach your team, find solutions to setbacks, and deliver feedback with confidence.
What you’ll do
- Collaborate with other art leads, lighting artists & the art and technical directors to discuss and develop the game vision.
- Coordinate and motivate texture artists as they create textures from scratch, references, or scans.
- Organize and run regular team meetings to assign tasks, establish priorities, discuss progress, etc.
- Balance artistic aspects with technical constraints, maintaining quality and performance standards (poly count, memory, etc.).
- Review integrated work, ensuring it’s aligned with the artistic direction and fits the feel of the game.
- Provide mentorship and constructive feedback to develop a consistent, quality visual style.
- Stay up to date on best practices to keep up with the industry.
- Meet with employees under their responsibility regularly to give them feedback and help them progress
- Participate in the recruitment of new members of the team and ensure the integration of new employees
- Develop a culture of sharing and push for continuous improvement within its trade community
- Address conflict situations and behavioral issues by seeking support from the HR team or the team's production manager as needed
- Write the annual report and the end-of-project report of the employees under their responsibility and help them identify their growth path
- Help create a healthy, inclusive and positive work environment and escalate issues that could affect employees or the project as needed.
What you bring
- A degree in 3D Modeling or equivalent
- Around 5 years of experience in texturing, modeling, lighting, or other relevant experience (leadership, an asset)
- Knowledge of 2D art tools (e.g. Photoshop) and familiarity with 3D software (e.g. Substance Designer, Subtsance Painter, 3DS Max, ZBrush, or Maya) + game engines (e.g. Unity or Unreal) * And Photogrammetry.
- Solid understanding of art fundamentals (colour theory, lighting, composition, proportion, etc.), physically based rendering, and game constraints
- Excellent mentorship, communication, organization, time management, interpersonal, and presentation skills
- Flexibility and a whole lot of resourcefulness
- A highly collaborative, creative, and empathetic spirit
- A super sharp, trained eye for detail
* Knowledge of project management software (e.g. Jira) = very nice to have
What to send our way
- Your CV, highlighting your education, experience, skills, and any games shipped
- A portfolio of your best work (attach images or send us a link to your personal website or online portfolio)
Have access to benefits that make a real difference in your day-to-day life :
- A hybrid and flexible work mode, 6 weeks of vacation in your first year, an enriched parental leave, a Ubi gym directly in our offices, a complete group insurance program, access to complete Dialogue telemedicine services, an RRSP with a contribution from Ubisoft, an advantageous bonus program, concrete measures to ensure the right to disconnect, the option of working part-time and much more. Click here for all the details.
- Joining a team of 21,000 Ubisoft employees working across more than 40 locations around the world, are boundby a common mission to enrich players’ lives with original and memorable gaming experiences. Their dedication and talent have brought to life many acclaimed franchises such as Assassin's Creed, Far Cry, Watch Dogs, Just Dance, Rainbow Six, and many more to come;
- Working for an equal opportunity employer who believes that diversity of backgrounds and perspectives is essential to creating worlds where gamers and their teams can thrive and express themselves. It's about taking on exciting challenges, being at the forefront of cutting-edge technology and being part of the future of entertainment.
*Please note that the response time and analysis of applications will be longer from December 20, 2021 to January 17, 2022 due to the holidays. Please be assured that your application will be considered and that a member of the recruitment team will contact you as soon as possible. Thank you and happy holidays.
With a team of more than 500 talented, innovative and passionate creators, Ubisoft Quebec keeps on growing and continues its ascension. Founded in 2005, the studio has been involved in several key Ubisoft franchises over the years, developing cutting-edge expertise in major AAA game development. Involved in the Assassin's Creed franchise since 2010, the Quebec team recently assumed the leadership of Assassin's Creed Odyssey, the latest installment in the critically acclaimed series. The team has just finished working on a brand new game, Immortals Fenyx Rising.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.