Lead Level Designer
20 days ago
We’re looking for a Lead Level Designer to join our studio in Boston working on Project Orion — the follow-up to Cyberpunk 2077 and the next major video game in the Cyberpunk franchise. The person in this role will be leading the Level Design team in day-to-day operation of designing, prototyping, iterating on and polishing in-game levels using Unreal Engine 5. This will also include the ownership of the world design ruleset and navigation and world exploration design. The person in this position will work closely with the Design Director to help ensure proper balance between quality, deadlines and technical requirements.
- Guiding the team in crafting unique spaces where gameplay flow and visual composition form memorable experiences.
- Close cooperation with the Design Director and with other design teams to make sure levels created contribute to and enhance the gameplay and game narrative.
- Making sure that the World Design Ruleset is established and respected among various teams.
- Management and mentorship of a team of level designers.
- Establishing quality benchmarks and driving the team in reaching them.
- Taking responsibility for the Navigation and World Exploration design.
- Overseeing the creation and maintenance of detailed, comprehensive documentation.
- Contributing to the creation and constant improvement of pipelines and processes.
- At least 7 years’ experience in game development with at least 2 years in a Lead Level Designer position on an AAA production.
- Experience managing and leading a team of designers.
- Proven success in creating varied, memorable levels.
- Proficiency in Unreal Engine.
- Excellent understanding of level design fundamentals and the role of level design in the overall player experience.
- Extensive knowledge of current titles, specifically in Action/RPG area, as well as works of art, such as movies, architecture or visual arts, to be used as reference for crafting and communicating original ideas.
- Ability to create map layouts on all stages – from simple drawings to fully functional levels in at least one of the existing game engines.
- Ability to use all elements of the game world, including level geometry, texturing, lighting, sound and VFX to craft unique player experiences.
- Strong analytical and creative thinking abilities.
- Outstanding verbal and written interpersonal communication skills.
This job requires working in Boston, US.
Working mode: in-office in a hybrid or full-time capacity.
Health & Well-being
- Company paid medical healthcare (dental vision & mental).
- Paid Leave — 20 days of holiday for every team member per year (26 days after two years).
- No dress-code — we like to keep it casual.
- 401K with employer matching.
- Gym Membership Reimbursement.
Perks & Professional Growth
- Flexible working hours.
- Trainings, lectures and courses — internal workshops, knowledge-sharing initiatives, online tutorials, and e-learning classes are all available. There’s always something to learn!
- Merch — regular chances to nab some cool swag!
- A welcome pack filled with goodies — to help you feel right at home once you join the team.
Life in the Office
- Dog-friendly office — dog owner? Bring your pooch with you and look after them while working! There’s always a furry friend or two to meet at the studio.
- Truly international working environment — a chance to meet and work with a diverse selection of people from all around the world.
To create revolutionary, story-driven RPGs which go straight to the hearts of gamers — this is our mission. Want to dive deeper into our company’s culture? Explore our social media and check out our YouTube channel where we share behind-the-scenes insights and stories direct from our team members!
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.