Lead Level Designer - Coconut Lizard
29 days ago
The Role: Lead Level Designer
d3t and Coconut Lizard are at the cutting edge of technology and creativity, delivering co-development video game services to our global triple-A clients. We are currently looking for a Lead Level Designer to join our expanding design team (at either studio site) as we look ahead to our next projects.
Our studio, part of the Keywords Studios Group, works on multiple exciting projects at any one time offering plenty of variety and involvement. Our studio projects have included Hogwart’s Legacy, The Masquerade - Blood Hunt, Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy, LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga, The Witcher3: Wild Hunt, Alan Wake Remastered, Mafia II: Definitive Edition and Assetto Corsa Competizione.
Our studios are based near Runcorn, Cheshire and Newcastle, Tyne & Wear. We offer an amazingly professional, fun and supportive working environment. We are passionate about what we do and pride ourselves on our inclusive mentality, mentoring ethos and have been awarded 'Best Places to Work’ multiple times by gamesindustry.biz including 2021 and 2022. In addition, we recently won ‘Best Creative Service Provider‘ at Develop 2022.
Responsibilities – Lead Level Designer:
- Effectively carry out line-management duties for designers in your charge, including career progression, mentoring, reviews, discipline and others when necessary.
- Review and feedback latest build to ensure that it conforms with the design vision and the core mechanics of the game.
- Communicate the project objectives, strategies, and general information to all team members to give visibility to the advancement of the development of the game.
- Use your experience to enact positive change within the design team, contributing to the game design, level design, and features to inspire and guide the other designers.
- Be part of the senior Design leadership; mentor others, bring your experience to bear, and help steer the department’s direction.
- Communicate with clients to ensure all parties have full awareness of current and projected objectives, difficulties, and deadlines.
- Take part in discussions with prospective clients regarding potential projects.
- Liaise with the Production team to assess progress towards short- and long-term objectives.
- Liaise with other discipline leads and seniors to maintain awareness of progress and impediments.
- Actively participate in the decision-making process with management and oversee the necessary adjustments to ensure that the game meets expectations.
- Promoting and building a strong cooperative culture within and between disciplines.
- Participate in the selection, on-boarding and mentoring of team members.
- Create a work environment that is motivating for team members and which fosters development and creation.
- Carry out all other related tasks for the department.
- 6+ years in a Senior or Lead Level Designer role on at least two AAA titles.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent ability to communicate, organize and structure your own work and that of the team (follow ups, control, schedule).
- Mentoring and developing individuals within a team.
- Client focus (internal and external).
- Strong analytical skills.
- Reliable and responsible.
- Possess a passion for making games.
- Thrives as part of a team.
- Ability to adapt to changing situations with a flexible and professional attitude.
- Hungry to learn and expand your areas of expertise.
- Management and planning skills.
- Scripting experience.
- Good working knowledge of Unreal.
Benefits & Perks – just some of the many offered by our studios alongside a great working environment:
- 25 days holiday (+ bank holidays + up to 5 days extra for length of service)
- Company Pension Scheme
- Flexible working hours
- Private Medical Insurance Scheme (including dental) & Eye Care Scheme
- Employee Share Scheme
- Anti-crunch ethos - an amazingly professional, fun and supportive working environment!
- Income Protection
- Annual Bonus – be rewarded for great teamwork!
- Free Parking
- Tech and Bike Scheme
- Company Share Scheme
- Company Socials, Project Launch/Wrap Parties + Annual d3t Events
- Breakout Areas – filled with perks such as games, BBQ area, complimentary snacks to suit all dietary preferences etc.
We offer a flexible working policy. This role has the option to be studio-based, hybrid or remote within the UK (not to be based outside of the UK).
Initial interviews will be help by video call with a second interview at the studio.
Don't meet every single requirement? Not a problem - please apply. At d3t and Coconut Lizard we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive and authentic workplace and culture. If this opportunity excites you but your current skills or past experience don't align perfectly with the job description, we encourage you to still apply. You may just be the right candidate for this or other roles within our team.
Internal Use -
Role Information: EN
Location: Europe, UK, Runcorn
Area of Work: Game Development
Employment Type: Full Time, Permanent
Working Pattern: Hybrid, Remote, In-Office
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.