Lead Game Software Engineer (Xamarin)
10 days ago
Job Posting TitleLead Game Software Engineer (Xamarin)
Why Big Fish Games?
Big Fish Games is the home of some of the biggest hit mobile casual games including EverMerge, Gummy Drop!, Cooking Craze, Fairway Solitaire, and many more.
- We are curious and constantly seek improvement in all we do because that’s what our business demands
- We operate with good intentions, confidence, and humility
- We welcome diversity of background, thought, and experience
- We listen actively and value each other
- We foster a fun environment that inspires creativity
OverviewBig Fish is looking for a driven and talented Lead Engineer to lead a small engineering team supporting our hit mobile games Gummy Drop and Cooking Craze. Bring your leadership, coding and technical chops, and passion for game development to some of our most successful games.
This role requires a deep understanding of Xamarin Native, familiarity with Unity, C# game software development and native mobile development, as well as the ability to understand and work within a mature and complex existing codebase. Creativity, attention to detail, high coding standards, and maintaining the stability of the codebase are essential.
You will be interfacing with internal product teams as well as external developers, so excellent communication and collaboration skills are also important for this position.
What you'll do
- Provide technical leadership for a small team of software engineers supporting a Xamarin Native based mobile and UWP game.
- Work with engineers, QA, product owners, and producers to provide high quality support for Gummy Drop!.
- Provide troubleshooting support for the Unity based mobile game Cooking Craze.
- Accurately estimate and prioritize development timeframes so delivery date of new features is predictable.
- Be agile to quickly understand this game’s technology stack and processes in order to help integrate the SDKs and software services that Big Fish provides.
- Explore, experiment, and integrate new technologies.
- Be flexible in order to adapt to the shifting priorities that come from working with the complexities of live game operations.
- Familiarize yourself with the game’s codebase in order to offer technical advice or help troubleshoot issues.
- Interface with the external game development studio and understand their processes, build systems, and methodologies.
- Effectively communicate with technical and non-technical parties to ensure understanding of priorities, services, and goals.
- Role may have up to 4 direct reports.
What we're looking for
- 2+ years in a lead engineering role, including defining priorities and maintaining schedules for a group of engineers.
- 5+ years professional experience in software development (mobile preferred)
- Experience with Xamarin development including integrating native iOS and Android libraries (NuGet packages and custom SDK bindings) is strongly preferred
- Familiarity with Unity development
- Native mobile development experience (iOS/Objective-C, Android/Java) a plus
- Strong C# skills
- Experience integrating complex third-party libraries and services, can work with technical and non-technical parties for testing and usage
- Ability to develop high performance, high quality, and scalable solutions
- Experience with server-side development.
- An understanding of server systems and how they interact with games.
- Excellent communication, critical thinking, and analytical skills
- Ability to multitask and prioritize competing tasks. Effectively context switch to and from unplanned work
- Strong sense of ownership, urgency, and drive, and a track record of delivery
Benefits and Beyond
Employees constantly rate Big Fish Games highly for its leadership, flexibility, well-being, diversity and inclusion through quarterly surveys.
FLEX-Forward work environment: Customize the when, where, and how you work while delivering goals
Health & More: Medical, dental, vision, life, disability, Teladoc services, employee assistance program (EAP)
Work-Life: Wellness Friday (half-days), paid time off, parental leave, flexible work policy, studio holiday closure (Enjoy the week between Christmas and New Year!)
Wellbeing: Wellness fairs, weekly virtual workout classes, 24/7 access to mental health and wellbeing support, free therapy and counseling sessions for you and your family
Wealth Care: 401k matching, flexible spending account (FSA), employee discounts, employee stock purchase program
Learn & Grow: LinkedIn Learning subscription, mentorship program, career development, individual development plans, educational assistance on job-related professional development
Community & Fun: Company social events, employee impact groups, company swag, volunteer opportunities
About Big Fish
Building upon our 20-year legacy as a leader in the biggest gaming categories in the world, we are innovating and developing new products within the casual space to add to our extensive portfolio. Big Fish is dedicated to delivering amazing experiences for players to connect, compete and discover play, anywhere and on any device. This means games for broad global audiences in genres that are easy to learn, and difficult to master. Be a part of the team from the start.
Big Fish is part of Pixel United, the free-to-play, mobile-first video games business of Aristocrat Leisure Ltd (ASX: ALL)!
LocationRemote - USA (Job Posting)
Time TypeFull time
CompanyBig Fish Games
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.