Lead Game Designer (Progression/Economy)
3 days ago
As a Game Design Lead at Ubi Quebec, you'll be a designer-manager hybrid with an influence on game design and a group of designers. You’ll help shape the economy systems that make up the foundation of a game, and then set a clear plan of action to see them through. You oversee your team throughout production, managing their creative workload, scheduling tasks, and setting realistic deadlines. As an empathetic mentor, you recognize and develop the strengths of your designers and create an environment of trust for each one to succeed. Thanks to your understanding of the methods and tools to create, solve, and navigate design, you can step in when need be to help your team bring all features from concept to completion.
What you’ll do
- Design flexible economy systems and features (progression & reward structures, currencies, sinks & sources etc.) aligned with the creative, game, and monetization directions.
- Work closely with the monetization team to come up with pricing strategies for items, events, and services. Develop a plan for collecting and evaluating player feedback, post-launch.
- Create game economy simulations and evaluate their performance & their impact on player experience.
- Collaborate with designers, programmers, artists, animators, and other production teams to ensure constant communication & consistency across the board.
- Meet with your game design team to prioritize work, assign tasks, discuss progress, tackle setbacks, find solutions, share experience, provide feedback and coaching, etc.
- Oversee your team as they develop their features and documentation
- Adapt to technical and production constraints & participate in finding solutions to fix buggy features.
- Carry out the annual evaluations of your game designers.
- Participate in recruitment to build and grow your game design team.
What you bring
- A college diploma in Game Design, Project Management, or equivalent (undergraduate degree an asset)
- At least 5 years of experience in game design or related experience (live/online game development a huge plus)
- In-depth experience with game engines (e.g. Unity or Unreal), productivity software (word processors, spreadsheets, etc.) & familiarity with project management software (e.g. Jira) *
- A highly innovative and collaborative spirit
- Exceptional problem-solving, organizational, communication, interpersonal, and presentation skills
- Critical thinking, curiosity, resourcefulness, and plenty of flexibility
- A solid understanding of the market and a (fiery) passion for video games
- Excellent mentorship capabilities & a whole lot of empathy
*Knowledge of 2D art tools (e.g. Photoshop) and 3D software (e.g. 3DS Max) = nice to have
What to send our way
- Your CV, highlighting your education, experience, skills, and any games shipped
- Please feel free to send us samples of your work (attach files or send us a link to your demo reel or online portfolio).
With a team of more than 500 talented, innovative and passionate creators, Ubisoft Quebec keeps on growing and continues its ascension. Founded in 2005, the studio has been involved in several key Ubisoft franchises over the years, developing cutting-edge expertise in major AAA game development. Involved in the Assassin's Creed franchise since 2010, the Quebec team recently assumed the leadership of Assassin's Creed Odyssey, the latest installment in the critically acclaimed series. The team has just finished working on a brand new game, Immortals Fenyx Rising.