Lead Character Concept Artist
26 days ago
Atomhawk produces the very best in cutting-edge creative conceptualisation, visualisation, and realisation. Our client list includes major names - Warner Bros, Sony, Microsoft, SEGA, Activision, 2K, EPIC, The Pokémon Company and Blizzard all feature. And we like variety. Every project is different from the last. The spectrum covers gritty, hard-hitting Mortal Kombat , irreverent and stylised Surgeon Simulator 2 , comic book superheroes, nostalgic childhood favourites and all things in between. Whichever franchise is on today’s agenda - DC, Halo, Marvel, Mortal Kombat and Warhammer - we move through their worlds with ease and creative curiosity.
The work our team produces is world-class. We’ve celebrated that fact in three artbooks. Each one features concept art, tutorials and professional tips. Volume 3 was created to mark the studio’s 10th anniversary, and was displayed and sold at the Great North Museum: Hancock in Newcastle, where we held the exhibition Other Worlds: The Art of Atomhawk in 2020. You can take a virtual tour of the exhibition
Our output hasn’t gone unnoticed. We received Best Companies’ 3 Star Accreditation 2021 and Top Companies North East 2021 . We hold the Queen’s Award for Enterprise for International Trade , as well as the TIGA Star Award 2021 . We were also named Best Art/Animation/Trailer Supplier at the 2021 Develop Star Awards .
Creativity thrives through diversity, not conformity. Every Atomhawk applicant and employee is afforded space and freedom to be their true self, with no fear of prejudice or persecution. During the application process, you won’t be judged on your name, your gender, your sexuality, your ethnicity, your age, your religion, or any other factor unrelated to your ability to do the job.
Atomhawk is part of Sumo Digital Ltd, one of the UK’s leading videogame developers.
We are pleased to announce that we have a key role appointment for a Character Discipline Lead to join our Management Team at our Gateshead studio.
Discipline Leads are responsible for leading their teams to create concepts following the requirements of each project/client. The role involves creating artwork and design at all stages of the development cycle, including concept and idea generation, fast sketching (including storyboards), colour/light studies and polished illustration work, as well as providing team management and feedback. Discipline Leads are also responsible for overseeing recruitment for their team, based on company growth plans and project needs. The role involves approximately 40% art creation and 60% management .
For this role, we are looking for an experienced team member who consistently delivers high-quality work that meets and often exceeds client expectations. The successful candidate will be able to work quickly and should consistently deliver innovative/high-quality ideas and polished final art/designs. They should have prior experience working directly with clients and be comfortable discussing projects with members of Atomhawk's Production and Senior Management Teams.
They will be able to interpret briefs on their own and mentor and guide others. They will be actively involved in staff training and development, assist with monthly artist one-to-ones and bi-annual appraisals, and show leadership by example.
• Lead multiple teams to deliver work for a variety of projects and styles.
• Effectively briefing teams on new and existing work.
• Ensures that the work captivates the viewer’s imagination with effective storytelling.
• Ability to direct their aesthetic output and quality and define creative workflows.
• Is involved in the recruiting and hiring process for their team.
• Gives regular feedback to teams with the ability to inspire those around them.
• Review documentation, briefs, and visual targets for multiple projects.
• Project lead supporting clients during onsite and offsite visits and weekly meetings.
• Is part of strong leadership in the studio.
What we look for at Atomhawk:
- Quality at all stages of the process – Creation of artwork that is well presented and defined from sketch through to final polish. You can see examples of our finished work on our website.
- Design thinking – Solving creative problems through innovative design, balancing form and function.
- Technical skill – Fluency in Photoshop and an understanding of complimentary software and tools.
- Art fundamentals – A strong grasp of colour, light, composition, anatomy, perspective and depth.
- Variety and iteration – The ability to provide multiple creative options, then iterate upon them as projects progress.
- Adaptability – Switching quickly and fluidly to new requirements and processes when required.
- Working to a brief – Understanding creative briefs, then considering elements such as context, timescales and creative constraints when solving tasks.
- Time management – Creation of high-quality work within allocated timescales.
- Collaboration – Receptive to taking feedback and working together with team-mates and clients.
What’s in it for you?
Sumo also offers a highly personable benefits package which has something for everyone, no matter where you are in your career.
Financial: Annual bonus, flexible benefits allowance, salary sacrifice pension, benefits hub, payroll giving, an employee referral scheme (up to £3,000), financial/home buying consultations, workplace ISA and other schemes for tech loans, car loans and bicycles.
Work-life Balance: Flexible working, 21 free choice days holiday (increasing to 25 with service), bank holidays, birthday day off, Christmas shutdown (Christmas Eve to New Year) and options to buy or sell up to a week of annual leave*.
Health and Wellbeing: Dental insurance, income protection, life assurance, BUPA private healthcare*, leading EAP programs (remote GP, mental health, physio, nutrition, lifestyle coaching and medical second opinions), critical illness cover*, health cash plan* and funded flu vaccines/eye tests.
Structured My Development pathway, regular appraisals, annual salary reviews, access to Udemy learning platform, 8 learning days per annum (1 can be used as a volunteer day), award-winning L&D team and yearly attendance to the Sumo Developers Conference ( link to video
Extra Perks: A variety of in-studio perks, regular care packages, studio days out (family welcome), studio-led social activities (game jams, yoga, quizzes, life drawing and more), sabbaticals (at 10 years service) and annual gaming subscription.
*Opt-in benefits (part of our flexible benefits options).
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.