Lead Audio Designer
19 days ago
PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play — it’s also the Best Place to Work. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in entertainment producing The PlayStation family of products and services including PlayStation®5, PlayStation®4, PlayStation®VR, PlayStation®Plus, acclaimed PlayStation software titles from PlayStation Studios, and more.
PlayStation also strives to create an inclusive environment that empowers employees and embraces diversity. We welcome and encourage everyone who has a passion and curiosity for innovation, technology, and play to explore our open positions and join our growing global team.
The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Join the award-winning team that created God of War
Santa Monica Studio is seeking a Lead Audio Designer to define and drive the creation of immersive and memorable audio experiences. We are looking for a passionate and experienced audio professional with proven leadership skills and a passion for games!
As a Lead Audio Designer, you will partner closely with the Audio Director. You will create, edit, and implement audio into the development pipeline, as well as define best practices and set the quality bar for other audio designers by empowering and supporting them to do their best work and fostering a positive team environment You will work closely with various teams to help co-develop and implement audio systems across disciplines.
The ideal candidate has proven design sense, attention to detail and a general level of technical expertise, along with a strong understanding of audio design principles and techniques. You take direction well while also offering feedback in a structured and considerate manner, are eager to learn, and passionately motivated to push the boundaries of game audio.
- Create and design unique sound assets to utilize across all aspects of our projects both linear and interactive
- Implement sound assets (SFX, Foley, Dialogue, Music, etc.) creatively within our game and audio engine
- Take ownership of audio features autonomously from conception to completion working closely with other teams, production, and directors
- Collaborate closely with non-audio team-members (art, design, engineering, etc.) to support gameplay needs
- Direct quality across the team, ensuring the best audio experience possible
- Collaborate with external audio teams and vendors
- Identify areas of improvement regarding audio features, pipelines and overall sonic fidelity while offering and developing solutions for enhancement
- Work closely with production and directors to define and prioritize tasks, plan project schedules, allocate resources, and ensure that objectives and milestones are realistically achievable
- Troubleshoot and debug complex audio issues throughout development
- Be a mentor and foster a culture of growth and education within the audio team while being a champion for audio within the organization
- Work with discipline managers to promote team health and career growth
- Participate in audio team interviews as needed
- Demonstrable game development experience in leading a team, focused on sound design and implementation
- At least one shipped AAA title or equivalent major project
- Passion for audio and gaming, with a keen ear for audio quality, aesthetics, immersion, and a strong desire to drive innovation in audio design
- Strong expertise in sound design principles, implementation, and audio production practices, with proficiency in industry-standard DAWs and related tools
- In-depth understanding of game development processes and workflows, allowing effective collaboration across departments, such as production, programming, art, and design
- Highly skilled at crafting audio assets utilizing a wide range of tools and concepts
- Extensive knowledge of audio production standards and best practices within the gaming industry
- Strong problem-solving skills, with the ability to troubleshoot and debug complex audio issues throughout development
- Knowledge of industry trends, emerging technologies, advancements in audio technology, and the ability to apply them creatively in game audio design
- Experience with game editors, scripting languages, and Wwise
Please refer to our Candidate Privacy Notice for more information about how we process your personal information, and your data protection rights.
At SIE, we consider several factors when setting each role’s base pay range, including the competitive benchmarking data for the market and geographic location.
Please note that the base pay range may vary in line with our hybrid working policy and individual base pay will be determined based on job-related factors which may include knowledge, skills, experience, and location.
In addition, this role is eligible for SIE’s top-tier benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision, matching 401(k), paid time off, wellness program and coveted employee discounts for Sony products. This role also may be eligible for a bonus package. Click here to learn more.
The estimated base pay range for this role is listed below.
$133,400 — $200,200 USD
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.
Equal Opportunity Statement:
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender (including gender identity, gender expression and gender reassignment), race (including colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin), religion or belief, marital or civil partnership status, disability, age, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity, trade union membership or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
PlayStation is a Fair Chance employer and qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records will be considered for employment.