Lead Animator, Gameplay
20 days ago
Crystal Dynamics is constantly seeking the best gaming talent worldwide to add to our 30-plus year legacy of game development creating new and iconic franchises. We are committed to making great games with great people and living the dream while doing it.
Benefits for our regular full-time positions include, but are not limited to, a competitive regional salary, 100% employer-paid medical, dental, and vision insurance options, professional development reimbursement, flexible hybrid on-site/off-site work opportunities, 12 company paid holidays, plus additional paid days in December when the studio is closed for holiday break, and the ability to accrue additional paid time-off.
Join us and shape the future of an amazing studio culture committed to creating award-winning franchises like Tomb Raider, the next Perfect Dark , and more!
At Crystal Dynamics, we're searching for an established Lead Animator to spearhead our gameplay animation efforts. Playing an integral role in the vibrant landscape of game development, our Lead Animator is pivotal in creating unforgettable animation sequences. If you're enthusiastic about crafting impactful, resonant, experiences through animation, then we’d love for you to apply!
As a Lead Gameplay Animator, you will:
- Lead by example, guiding a team of animators to seamlessly implement high-quality in-game animations within Unreal Engine.
- Develop and integrate animation systems for gameplay fidelity while mentoring and sharing technical knowledge.
- Be the connecting link between internal teams and external co-developers to ensure effective collaboration and maintain our quality standards.
- Create, implement, and enhance processes for capturing, refining, and reviewing gameplay animations in line with the Animation Director's vision.
- Oversee the production and quality of gameplay animations, ensuring consistency across the board.
- Offer targeted and actionable feedback to internal and external teams to refining project quality.
- Guide the team to achieve creative excellence by ensuring the quality expectations for gameplay animations are clear and maintained throughout.
- Collaborate closely with various stakeholders including directors, designers, and fellow animators to ensure gameplay elements integrate seamlessly with the larger narrative.
To be considered for this role, we require the following:
- Have substantial professional experience as a Senior or Lead Animator (or equivalent) in the game development industry, having overseen quality of high performing animation teams to deliver high-quality, large scale, console titles.
- Deep comprehension of gameplay animation techniques with an affinity for realistic detailing.
- Demonstrated capacity to collaborate seamlessly with both internal and external teams.
- Up-to-date knowledge of leading animation software (i.e., Maya and Motion Builder) and ability to integrate animations in engine.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, able to articulate complex concepts with clarity.
- Examples of relevant work (i.e., demo reel, portfolio, or contributions to shipped title). An ideal reel will include:
- Up to date examples of realistic animations that clearly demonstrate your skills/expertise
- Inclusion of a breakdown sheet detailing your specific contributions to each piece is highly recommended. Note: If you directed others, then we would be looking for a director’s cut.
Preference will be given to candidates who have:
- Extensive expertise in Unreal Engine.
- Shipped a AAA title.
- Previous work in games renowned for their gameplay animations.
- Ability to travel at least 2x a year, and/or as needed.
It'll be a bonus if you also have:
- In-depth experience with motion capture techniques.
The pay range for this role includes the annual base salary, not including bonus and the generous benefits package that Crystal Dynamics provides all full-time employees. Individual compensation is determined by work location within our approved states or regions, as well as additional factors, including job related skills, experience, and relevant education.
Your recruiter will be able to share more information about total compensation.
Pay Range (United States)
$125,000 — $175,000 USD
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.
Not sure if you are qualified? We hope that you will still choose to apply so we may review your application!
Crystal Dynamics is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to identifying and implementing positive and persistent measures to ensure equal opportunity in the recruitment, hiring, development, training, promotion and compensation of a diverse team employee group. This includes persons of different race, color, creed, religion, sex, gender identity or gender expression, pregnancy, breastfeeding or medical conditions related to breastfeeding, genetic characteristic, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, medical condition, political affiliation, age, veteran status, uniform service member status, marital status, physical or mental disability, or citizenship, as well as any other classifications protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
By submitting an application, you acknowledge that you have read and understand Crystal Dynamics’s Privacy Notice available at https://www.crystald.com/legal/privacy/.