** This position can work remotely most of the time in CA and is expected to commute to the office ONLY when it is needed.**
GungHo Online Entertainment America Inc. is the U.S. subsidiary of the Japanese gaming company GungHo Online Entertainment, Inc. We publish titles across multiple platforms ranging from AAA to handheld to mobile. Our group is comprised of veterans from various aspects of the industry who are brought together by one simple thing: a love of gaming.
Lead Animator is responsible for creation of high-quality animations, managing other Animators, and working with team members to establish and run an efficient animation pipeline.
What you’ll be doing:
Create animations for our internally developed AAA games:
- Establish an animation style
- Ensure combat animations feel good and impactful
- Animate humanoid and non-humanoid characters to show a range of personalities
- Rig own models and create prototype assets and animations
Manage other Animators:
- Manage the day to day work of other Animators
- Mentor and provide feedback to Animators
- Help troubleshoot problems regarding animations
Establish an efficient animation pipeline:
- Work with the design team in deciding the moves and actions for our characters
- Establish a reasonable naming convention and file formats to ensure an organized production
- Work with technical artists and software engineers to solve issues regarding animations and character movements
- Make sure that our tool chain for art creation is up to date and reasonable to maintain
- Explore and learn tools and technologies, such as the Unreal Engine, to be able to push the quality, and quantity of the art assets for our games
- Conduct technical problem solving and optimization
- Perform special projects and other miscellaneous duties that are assigned by upper management.
- Travel on business or work beyond normal work hours when necessary.
Qualifications and desired experience:
- Portfolio that includes in-game melee combat animations.
- Full understanding of the fundamentals of animation, for both humanoid and non-humanoid characters.
- Proficiency in 3D Modeling tools, with at least 5 years of experience with Maya.
- Well-versed in Photoshop and Adobe Creative Suite.
- Art degree and/or equivalent work experience.
- Must provide an animation portfolio via website link. (Please use the “Website, Blog, or Portfolio” section of the application.)
- Familiarity with Unreal is required.
- Rigging models is a great plus
- Being able to help with VFX will be a great plus.
- Enjoy working in a small, agile team environment.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Passion for games!
- 100% employer-paid insurances: Health insurance (Medical, Dental, and Vision), Life insurance, and Long Term Disability insurance
- 401(k) with employer match
- Competitive paid time off: Vacation, Personal time, Sick Leave, Holidays, and Winter Breaks.
$120,000 - $150,000 /year