Lead Animation Coder
17 days ago
Two simple questions:
- Do you want to work with and improve our in-house animation engine to enhance the overall quality of our projects?
- Do you want to lead a team of Animation Programmers to fulfil their potential?
If you have answered ‘yes’ to both of these questions, read on my friend!
Rebellion is a leading developer and publisher of games, and one of Europe’s biggest independent studios operating across books, comics, TV and film. Our Sniper Elite series is renowned for its authentic stealth and sniping gameplay with more than 35 million players worldwide. The Zombie Army franchise is a spine-chilling zombie shooter, and the soon-to-be released Evil Genius 2 is a satirical spy-fi lair builder where YOU are the criminal mastermind!
And those are just the projects you know about – there are loads more!
We are looking for someone like you to become our all-new Lead Animation Coder and join our passionate and talented code team, where we are building on the years of success that Rebellion has enjoyed.
Lead Animation Coder role:
The Lead Animation Coder is a new role dedicated to creating and perfecting the animation engine to enhance the overall quality of the animation in our projects. You will ensure that the integration of the work is in line with the project’s technical constraints and direction.
You will lead a team of Animation Programmers following best practic e people management techniques.
As part of Rebellion’s in house tech team, you will play a key role in mentoring as well as being a role model for your team. You will work to maintain morale and create an atmosphere of creativity and enthusiasm.
You will also develop and implement animation code for our in-house engine and collaborate with the Head of Programming, Programmers and Producers to balance technical vision with production realities.
This role would suit someone with previous experience leading a team and detailed knowledge of the internal workings of animation systems.
The Rebellion Programming team is responsible for delivering code for multiple high-end projects with a focus on optimising that code and delivery outcomes.
- Lead a team of Animation Programmers with best practice people management techniques
- Collaborate with the CTIO, Programmers and Producers to balance technical vision with production realities
- Be an active mentor and role model for the Animation Programming team. Work to maintain morale and create an atmosphere of creativity and enthusiasm.
- Develop and implement animation code for our in-house engine
- Maintain and develop features within our animation systems, working on content creation tools as well as runtime systems
- Collaborate with content creators to write some of those tools and features
- Develop and implement animation code for the project, writing and testing larger classes and code with complex functionality
- Fixes complex bugs in both familiar and unfamiliar code in a timely manner.
- Create, review and update technical and user documentation.
- Perform code reviews in different areas, spotting bugs, suggesting improvements and providing constructive feedback
- Works with all stakeholders to analyse and understand requirements, prioritise backlogs and plan future work
- Supports other team members or programmers from other disciplines where appropriate
We are actively recruiting for a diverse team and continue to develop a culture of growth and inclusion. Rebellion encourages innovation in all areas and we look forward to hearing how you can help us to be better. We would like to invite all demographics of culture, gender, ethnicity, neuro-diversity and beyond because we believe a representative team makes better games and provides a better working life.
- Previous experience in a similar role
- Have an understanding of video game industry best practices including developing for console
- Previous experience of managing a team
- Detailed knowledge of internal workings of animation systems
- Previous experience with IK systems
- Proficiency in C++ and other relevant programming languages
- Experience with IDE and debugging techniques
- Source control and code review software knowledge
- Command of software architecture and design principles
- Experience with numerical concepts such as underflow and FP precision
- Proficiency with Finite State Machines
- Competent with 3D geometry computation
- Understands and has used finite state machines
- Considers networking when working with entities
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.
- Holiday: 26 holiday days annually, increasing with service to 31 days, plus national public holidays
- Private Medical Insurance: Our PMI scheme offers comprehensive cover to access private medical treatment, taking the stress and strain out of waiting for treatments via the NHS
- Pension Contribution: Tax efficient salary sacrifice contributory pension scheme where Rebellion matches 4% of salary, plus 10% of any contribution you make
- Healthcare Cash Plan: Cash-back on treatment costs, from flu jabs to chiropractors
- Dental & Vision: Cash-back on routine or emergency costs, free eye tests
- Income Protection: Financial help if unable to work due to illness or injury
- Critical Illness: Financial help if diagnosed with critical illness
- Life Assurance: Financial security for your loved ones at a difficult time
- EAP: Wellbeing hub, including confidential telephone support and counselling
- Active Rewards: Earn discounts and other perks for physical activity, from trainers to cinema tickets
- Gym Membership: Discounts to over 3,000 participating UK gyms, pools & fitness events
- Loans: Interest free, tax-free loans
- Relocation: Assistance with relocation planning and costs
- Cycling Cycle Scheme: Save around 30% of the cost of a new bike and equipment though salary sacrifice tax & NI savings, spread repayments over 12 months
- Discounts: 50% off most 2000 AD merchandise, plus Active Rewards and more through health schemes, from high street retail to holidays
- Referral Bonus: Up to £2k bonus for internal staff referrals that lead to hires
- Flexible Hours: Flexible start and finish times
- Great Friendly Culture: Friendly, creative and relaxed working atmosphere, with sensibly managed projects and recognition of the importance of work-life balance (anti-crunch)
- Social & Charity Events: Annual Summer BBQ & Christmas Party, social groups such as photography and board games, charity events including football, go-karting and supporting Special Effect
- Digital Freebies: GDC Vault access, all Rebellion Steam titles, digital copies of 2000 AD and Rebellion Publishing comics, graphic novels and ebooks, physical game and film libraries