Lead AI Designer
21 days ago
This is a full-time, on-site position in our development studio located just outside of Dallas, TX.
id Software is renowned for creating some of the most iconic and genre-defining video games in the industry, including DOOM, Quake, and Wolfenstein. We're on the lookout for a talented Lead AI Designer to join our team in Dallas and play a pivotal role in crafting the AI experiences that define our games.
As the Lead AI/Boss Designer at id Software, you will lead a team responsible for creating bosses and iconic enemies that challenge, excite, and immerse players in our upcoming projects. You'll work closely with the game director and cross-functional teams to bring AI to life, fostering innovation and pushing the boundaries of what's possible in the world of gaming. This is a hybrid position that requires experience in both AI programming and AI design.
- Lead the design and programming teams to create AI systems that deliver interesting, engaging, and contextually relevant behaviors for in-game enemies and bosses.
- Mentor, guide, and manage a team of AI designers and programmers, ensuring their professional growth and the successful execution of AI-related work.
- Work closely with the Game Director, Gameplay Systems Director and Animation and art leadership to create engaging AI.
- Work with the understanding of cross-departmental components needed to make AI, while informing the team of cost-effective approaches to help AI finish on schedule.
- Work on the development of AI tools and pipelines to streamline AI creation, bug fixing and iteration.
- 8 + years of relevant experience
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Minimum 1yr experience leading and mentoring designers
- Understanding and experience in AI programming and AI design.
- Understanding of different pipeline approaches to creating AI in a variety of engines and other workflows.
- Understanding of production processes / pipelines related to AI, Animation, Rigging, and FX.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a cross-disciplined development environment.
Lead AI Designer - The typical base pay range for this position at the start of employment is expected to be between $90,000 - $200,000 per year.
ZeniMax has different base pay ranges for different work locations within the United States, which allows us to pay employees competitively and consistently in different geographic markets. The range above reflects the potential base pay across the U.S. for this role; the applicable base pay range will depend on what ultimately is determined to be the candidate’s primary work location. Individual base pay depends on various factors, in addition to primary work location, such as complexity and responsibility of role, job duties/requirements, and relevant experience and skills. Base pay ranges are reviewed and typically updated each year. Offers are made within the base pay range applicable at the time.
At ZeniMax certain roles are eligible for additional rewards, such as merit increases and discretionary bonuses. These awards are allocated based on individual performance and are not guaranteed. Benefits/perks listed here may vary depending on the nature of employment with ZeniMax and the country work location. U.S.-based employees have access to healthcare benefits, a 401(k) plan and company match, short-term and long-term disability coverage, basic life insurance, wellbeing benefits, paid vacation time, paid sick and mental health time, and several paid holidays, among others.
Applicant Privacy Notice
ZeniMax Media California Applicant Privacy Notice
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.