Junior 3D Environment Artist (Freelance/Contract)
11 days ago
At Improbable, we’re bringing together technology and games to create new opportunities and experiences. In order to achieve this, we need unique perspectives from diverse people, empowered to revolutionise how online games are made, delivered and paid for.
We believe one of the biggest, most impactful changes to the way we live our lives is going to come from the medium of games. Realising new communities, societies and vocations through virtual worlds is what drives our people and gives them purpose.
Improbable has introduced SpatialOS to the gaming world, and the popularity of our platform is growing. To demonstrate its potential, we are creating original games in our own first party studios, and the best way we do that is by populating beautiful environments with a large variety of diverse and exciting artwork.
Improbable is establishing a collective of Junior and new graduate artists who work on active projects to not only contribute varied artwork, but also to offer opportunities to gain industry experience based on skill, merit, and potential.
As a member of this collective, you’ll work in your own space (with scheduled visits to our studio) to create new assets and/or edit existing assets using our workflows and under the guidance of our experienced developers and industry leaders.
- Competent/fluent in, and has commercial licenses for Substance Designer/Painter, and Maya 2020
- Experienced with PBR workflows for texture-authoring
- Experience with Zbrush is a bonus, though this is not mandatory for all tasks
- Comfortable working with the Unreal Engine
- Able to UV-unwrap assets efficiently and without artifacts, hitting texel density targets
- Experienced with High-res to Low-Poly baking workflows without errors. They should also have experience creating clean low poly meshes
- Comfortable working in a realistic visual style, and creating texture assets using Substance Painter
- Sufficiently comfortable in Substance Designer to use custom nodes and outputs
- Being able to create materials from scratch in Substance designer is a bonus - however, few tasks will require it
- Aware of the importance of scale, LODs and collision - specifically how they relate to creating assets for games
- Currently resides in Canada
- Legally entitled to work in Canada
- Able to demonstrate your skills and your process, as well as your eye for details and aesthetics through a portfolio or show reel
- An excellent spoken and written communicator: working remotely relies on timely, precise, proactive, and detailed communication
- Highly motivated and self-driven - will require frequent updates we ask that applicants are able to commit to the completion and approval of several assets.
This position represents an opportunity to gain real-world industry experience, and learn from industry veterans. You will receive feedback in the pursuit of approval of your work, and payment is delivered for each approved, completed asset.
The best ideas are often the least expected and require new ways of thinking; that’s why our teams at Improbable are made up of an incredible range of talented people. Improbable is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, colour, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any other legally protected status.