This job might no longer be available.
Junior 3D Environment Artist (Freelance / Contract)
6 months ago
At Improbable, we’re bringing together technology and games to create new opportunities and experiences. In order to achieve this, we need unique perspectives from diverse people, empowered to revolutionise how online games are made, delivered and paid for.
We believe one of the biggest, most impactful changes to the way we live our lives is going to come from the medium of games. Realising new communities, societies and vocations through virtual worlds is what drives our people and gives them purpose.
...is to join our collective of junior and recent graduate artists to create a large variety of diverse, exciting new assets (and/or edit existing assets) for the original games in our own first party studios. Your artwork will populate beautiful environments, showcasing the power of Improbable's SpatialOS technology.
Areas for Impact
Our Art Collective is a team of junior and new graduate artists who work on active projects. Not only will you contribute varied artwork, but you'll also have the opportunity to gain industry experience based on skill, merit, and potential.
As a member of this collective, you’ll work in your own space (with scheduled visits to our studio) to create new assets and/or edit existing assets using our workflows and under the guidance of our experienced developers and industry veterans. You'll receive feedback in the pursuit of approval for your work, and payment is delivered for each approved, completed asset.
- You'll be able to demonstrate your skills, process, and eye for details/aesthetics through your work, building out your existing portfolio or show reel.
- You'll leverage your excellent spoken and written communication to work remotely (which relies on timely, precise, proactive, and detailed communication).
- You'll be highly motivated and self-driven, providing frequent updates and committing to the approval and subsequent delivery of several completed assets.
- You'll contribute to our original game through the creation and delivery of beautiful, exciting assets in varied forms.
We'd like to hear from you if you identify with the following
- Eligible to live and work in Canada (no relocation support provided)
- You have your own commercial license for Substance Designer/Painter and Maya 2020
- Experienced with PBR workflows for texture-authoring
- Experience in Unreal Engine
- Able to UV-unwrap assets efficiently and without artifacts, hitting texel density targets
- Experience with high-res to low-poly baking workflows without errors, and can create clean low-poly meshes
- Experience with Substance Painter - including working in a realistic visual style and creating texture assets
- Experience with Substance Designer - including using custom nodes and outputs (experience creating materials from scratch an asset)
- Aware of the importance of scale, LODs, and collision - specifically relating to asset creation in games
- Experience with Zbrush is an asset
While we think the above experience could be important, we’re keen to hear from people that believe they have valuable experience to bring to the role. If you identify with the team and mission, but not all of our requirements, then please still apply!!
The best ideas are often the least expected and require new ways of thinking; that’s why our teams at Improbable are made up of an incredible range of talented people. Improbable is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, colour, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any other legally protected status.