Infrastructure Software Engineer (Mid and Senior Level)
Los Gatos, CA
1 year ago
Cryptic Studios is an industry leader in the development of free-to-play massively multiplayer role-playing games on PC and console including Star Trek Online, Neverwinter and Magic the Gathering: Legends. We bring these popular properties to life with innovative gameplay mechanics, gorgeous graphics, and impressive sound to create an engaging and immersive player experience. Come and join us!
Cryptic Studios is currently seeking an Infrastructure Software Engineer. The creation and operation of massive multiplayer online games requires a wide range of cutting edge technologies. As an Infrastructure Software Engineer, you can contribute to advancing the state of the art in back-end systems for online games.
**Every day you could be**
* Designing and implementing new systems to address emerging business needs.
* Analyzing game systems to improve game play experiences for players.
* Working with operations staff to design and implement new features that will improve the reliability and efficiency of operating Cryptic's games.
* Working with game development teams and game engine teams to bring their ideas to live in high performance back-end systems.
* Analyzing performance of key systems and refactoring or re-implementing them to perform and scale better under load.
**Systems you might work on**
* Core components of Cryptic's game server architecture, ranging from game servers, to social systems (such as friends management, chat, and teaming) to economic systems (such as auction).
* Integration with platforms such as Xbox Live, PlayStation Network, and Steam.
* Entitlement management systems, ranging from designing micro-transactions, through the purchase flows, to tracking and reporting on game monetization.
* Management tools for Cryptic's server cloud, ranging from deployment tools to operational telemetry.
* Asset management ranging from internal tracking of game assets to large scale cloud deployment of the game to customers.
* Cryptic's custom built NoSQL object database that optimizes for write-mostly, read-rarely use patterns.
**What we need to see**
* The ability to clearly and concisely communicate both in writing and verbally.
* 5 years of experience in C programming and debugging.
* Ability to take a large existing code base to understand its inner workings and make improvements.
* Ability to work with engineers and project managers from other organizations.
* Ability to code and debug asynchronous systems such as multi-threaded or multi-process systems.
* A passion for delivering great work.
* Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field (or equivalent experience).
* Must be eligible to work in the United States
**What we would like to see**
* 3 to 5 years of experience with networking, including sockets, ports, firewalls, packet capture, etc.
* Familiarity with modern web services mechanics such as REST, JSON-RPC, etc.
* Passion for gaming / MMO games
Cryptic’s software engineers work almost exclusively in a high performance, cross-platform C/C++ code base. In addition to problem solving skills, this job requires a high degree of proficiency with pointers, memory management, and performance optimization. The interview process will be testing you for these skills. Java, C# and other high-level languages will not be utilized in this job.
**What Cryptic Offers:**
* A fun tight-knit team
* Full-Time role
* Paid Holiday, Sick Time & Paid Time off
* Health Insurance & Perks
* Company social events
Cryptic Studios is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to complying with all applicable laws providing equal employment opportunities. Company policy prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, color, ethnicity, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical conditions), gender (including gender identity and gender expression), religion (including religious dress and grooming practices), creed, marital status, age, national origin (including language use restrictions and possession of a driver’s license issued under California Vehicle Code section 12801.9), ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, military and veteran status, genetic information, medical condition (including cancer and genetic characteristics), sexual orientation, or any other protected class, characteristic, or consideration made unlawful under applicable federal, state, or local laws. It also prohibits unlawful discrimination based on the perception that anyone has any of those characteristics, or is associated with a person who has or is perceived as having any of those characteristics.