Incubation Staff World Designer
15 days ago
Have you ever found yourself in a room, thinking the layout would be ever so slightly better if a wall moved *just* a few meters? Do you obsess over the route you take, to ensure you get to all the places you’re going without any back-tracking…while also hitting the ice cream shop? Do you find yourself breaking down the systems of a game into their component parts to better understand the rules? If you answered “yes” to any of these, we have a great opportunity for you. Bungie is seeking an experienced, creative, and compassionate designer to help build and populate spaces within our next universe. As a Staff World Designer at Bungie you will work with people from all disciplines to craft our game worlds from start to finish, support the development of engaging multiplayer experiences, and help in the creation of dynamic world elements to surprise and delight our players.
With the uncertainty and rapidly changing circumstances surrounding COVID-19, most positions at Bungie are expected to onboard and work from home for a significant portion of 2021. In 2022, most Bungie employees will adopt a flexible schedule working from home part time (outside of positions identified as either 100% onsite or fully remote in CA, IL, NC, TX, and WA). Currently only a select range of positions are available for full-time remote work in CA, IL, NC, TX, and WA (please review location for details). Prospective employees located outside of CA, IL, NC, TX, and WA will need to establish WA state residency within 45 days of a start date. Bungie’s work from home, flexible work schedule, and remote policy is subject to change at the company’s discretion.
- Collaboratively design the worlds that make up Bungie’s next great game using proprietary tools
- Gather feedback from everyone on the team to continually upgrade all ideas
- Populate and craft the moment-to-moment player experience
- Partner with user testing to evaluate ideas and implementations
- Flex your skills to setup and fine tune gameplay experiences, including everything from blocking out spaces, placing loot, scripting complex systems, placing AI paths, player respawn points, and everything in between
- Willingness to take on challenging, complex, and difficult design problems
- Problem solving ability and methodology with a focus on creative, innovative solutions
- Analytical approach to studying and understanding systems and mechanics in other games
- Effective communication, including giving constructive, actionable feedback and knowing when to ask for assistance
- Ability and motivation to work independently when specific design direction isn’t available
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.
- Solid understanding of action and/or multiplayer games
- Familiarity with text-based scripting or code languages (Lua, Python, C#, etc.)
- Implementing and placing content in a 3D game engine (Unreal, Unity, or other)
- Designing and creating levels and/or mods for AAA action games