Head of Design
1 month ago
We have an exciting opportunity for an experienced creative executive to run the Bungie Design Organization. This position requires extensive experience as a design lead or game director, and extensive experience managing large organizations. Your job is to work with the Chief Creative Officer and game directors to help forge and champion a powerful studio design philosophy, and a future-facing design culture that will help Bungie continue to lead the industry. You will also work with the game directors to manage the organizational health and structure of all design departments, and ensure high engagement, excellent craft, and quality management. Additionally, you will collaborate with creative leaders throughout the studio to ensure Bungie design is raising the industry bar and still meeting individual project needs. This position will report to the Chief Creative Officer, and will help define the studio’s larger creative strategy. The right candidate will help create a compelling culture that will inspire our studio, and foster a happy, engaged, buoyant and ever-learning design organization!
With the uncertainty and rapidly changing circumstances surrounding COVID-19, most positions at Bungie are expected to onboard and work from home for a significant portion of 2021. In 2022, most Bungie employees will adopt a flexible schedule working from home part time (outside of positions identified as either 100% onsite or fully remote in WA/CA). Currently only a select range of positions are available for full-time remote work in CA or WA (please review location for details). Prospective employees located outside of CA or WA will need to establish WA state residency within 45 days of a start date. Bungie’s work from home, flexible work schedule, and remote policy is subject to change at the company’s discretion.
- Work closely with design directors to define a powerful, future-facing culture for design
- Work with the Chief Creative Officer to define how design unites the other disciplines to create powerful and resonant player experiences
- Serve as a mentor, advisor, and manager to the game directors
- Help game directors structure their individual departments and set up strong succession planning for each franchise
- Manage and grow design department managers from each franchise
- Drive best practices in craft and ensure industry-leading innovation in system design
- Oversee and radically upgrade the recruiting and talent acquisition process
- Collaborate with external publishers in design related project matters as necessary.
- Represent entire design organization to leadership groups across the studio.
- Demonstrated AAA design or game direction experience
- Demonstrated experience leading and managing creatives on AAA console games or other design-related fields.
- A strong desire to focus on a management/strategic role for the design discipline, as opposed to a highly creative role.
- Proven ability to drive large-scale studio initiatives, and to manage a large organization
- Experience in effectively managing personnel issues and developing a high-performance team.
- Excellent leadership and effective communication skills.