Gameplay Network Engineer | Minecraft
11 days ago
Build amazing experiences in Halo Infinite , connect players across platforms in Minecraft , unleash your creativity on original IP or think strategy with Magic: The Gathering Arena . SkyBox Labs is a game development studio that works on some of the world’s most iconic games. Our current projects include working as a co-developer on Halo Infinite , projects in the Minecraft Universe , supporting the development of Magic: The Gathering Arena , and original title, Stela . As one of Vancouver’s fastest-growing game studios, since our inception in 2011, SkyBox Labs has evolved from a group of 8 people developing independent projects to a team of over 200 engineers, artists, designers, producers, and more.
SkyBox Labs is looking for an experienced Gameplay Network Engineer to join our Minecraft team! In this role you will help build and maintain a modular network engine supporting multiple platforms, develop low-level network features, and help evolve our networking tech stack.
- Design, code, test, integrate and debug networking and multiplayer engine features
- Drive engine and feature improvements, optimize and refactor code, and identify and solve performance issues relating to gameplay networking
- Optimize low-level networking systems to improve latency and collaborate with other engineers to improve network replication
- Develop networking code to interact with backend systems and integrate online services into the game engine
- Lead and/or participate in code reviews and provide constructive feedback on how to develop and improve processes, tools and workflows
- Build strong relationships and communicate effectively with both internal team members and our external partners
- Identify and provide updates on technology risks and obstacles to technical directors and project managers
- Learn new technologies and systems to meet our technical and business needs
- Professional software development experience within games or a related industry
- Strong proficiency in C++ is required
- Experience working on network-oriented gameplay engineering for PC and/or console with a solid understanding of game networking systems and technologies
- Excellent optimization and debugging skills
- A creative thinker with advanced problem-solving skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Self-directed and takes initiative in order to drive progress
- Experience shipping at least one game title
- Experience providing technical leadership and/or mentorship to other engineers
- A passion for Minecraft or games in general!
A Culture of Empowerment, Collaboration and Personal Growth
Our studio’s success can be attributed to our culture of empowerment, collaboration and personal growth. We employ a flat structure where all team members are heard, respected and trusted. We encourage knowledge sharing and personal growth through our many Lunch & Learns and frequent feedback. This culture is underscored by our strong commitment to work-life balance.
One major thing that we’re proud of is that we’ve been able to grow a 200 person studio while cultivating an inclusive grassroots culture. We value our team members’ various backgrounds, hobbies, skills, and interests and this is demonstrated through our broad spectrum of social clubs: Join our soccer team, fitness group, potluck club, or one of our many D&D groups - you can even start your own!
Work During COVID-19
In order to keep our employees, candidates and community safe during the COVID-19 pandemic, the majority of our teams are working from home within Canada. All interviewing, onboarding, and most work will take place remotely for the foreseeable future.
SkyBox Labs is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace, dedicated to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce.
Although we appreciate all interest, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.