Game Designer - Mobile
London England United Kingdom
11 days ago
Tonic Games Group brings together a family of world-class developers and publishers who believe that games are for everyone. More than 300 people strong; we bring together Mediatonic, Fortitude Games and The Irregular Corporation to create original IP and to invest in independent game developers globally.
We continue to build on our ambitions and projects, as such we are looking to hire a Game Designer to join Mediatonic.
Mediatonic is one of the UK’s largest independent game developers which delights in connecting people through original, mass-multiplayer game experiences and breaking the mould with the weird and wonderful across every platform.
As a group, we take pride in crafting games that challenge and inspire us and we invest in technology that will keep us at the forefront of the industry. We hire experts to take on the biggest creative and technical challenges we can get our hands on and we invest in our people for the long term.
As a Game Designer on Mediatonic’s Yahtzee team you’ll take responsibility for helping brainstorm and design new features and game modes to engage and excite our huge player-base and push the performance of one of the world’s most-played and most-successful free-to-play games. Working closely with senior and lead designers to define a vision, and then playing a part in delivering on that vision with the other designers on your team.
- Work with more senior designers on the team to define pillars and goals for a specific design.
- Produce high-quality specs, ensuring they are thorough, yet understandable across all disciplines while outlining key success criteria.
- Field questions from other disciplines on your spec and iterate on your requirements by discussing flagged risks and challenges.
- Be the main point of contact across all departments for the day-to-day questions which crop up during your design’s implementation.
- Frequently review your design’s implementation, using your eye for quality and understanding of the design goals to drive feedback and iteration.
- Construct spreadsheet models to support game economy and system designs, under the guidance of more senior designers.
- Continuously look for ways to improve or expand on the game experience by creating ideas for mechanics or features.
- Be an active, thoughtful contributor to complex design discussions.
We are seeking an experienced game designer who can jump in and immediately get their hands dirty.
- 3+ years game design experience within a studio environment (with at least 3+ years focused on Free-to-Play development)
- Strong understanding of game structure and systems
- Proven ability to produce clear and workable documentation
- Solid knowledge base of comparative titles
- Able to communicate your ideas clearly, concisely and efficiently
- Adaptable and able to quickly pick-up new skills and ways of working
- Comfortable working closely with others
Want to work for us?
Are you interested in joining a business who strive to create moments that matter, for millions of players, in games that run for years? Does the idea of working together with a friendly team of Tonics towards the common goal appeal to you?
As a creative business, we recognise that creativity is best inspired by different experiences and perspectives and we strive to create a culture of belonging, where all our colleagues feel welcome and diversity is celebrated. As we push towards ever more ambitious and high quality titles, we are looking for the finest talent in the industry to come and join us on our quest.
We not only offer you the chance to work with fantastic teams, on awesome and inspiring projects, we also offer competitive salaries, flexible working hours including up to 3 x remote days weekly and private health care.
How to apply & really impress us
As a people first company, our biggest priority is to hire the right person. A cover letter that tells us a bit about you and what you’re passionate about really helps to get our attention and distinguish your application from the crowd.
Successful applications will usually have a phone chat before being invited to a full interview. If you are applying for a creative role, remember a portfolio is essential. For all applications we suggest you read the job description carefully and let us know why you believe you’re the right person to take on this job. We look forward to hearing from you.
We receive heaploads of applications, and while we do our best to respond, we can't always guarantee this.