Game Designer, Junior to Mid-Level, Contract
1 month ago
This position will begin as a Work-From-Home arrangement; but, as COVID restrictions are lifted, it may transition to being completely onsite in our Austin, Texas studio.
The video games industry represents the pinnacle of interactive digital content. At Keywords, we are using our passion for games, technology and media to create a global services platform for video games and beyond. We aim to become the “go-to” provider of technical services. By working as their external development partner, we enable leading content creators and publishers to leverage our expertise and capacity across the lifecycle of interactive content. In doing so, we enable our clients who are operating in complex and fast moving environments to remain lean and agile, and to focus on creating and monetizing the most engaging experiences. We are trusted and relied upon by many of the world’s leading video game companies to work alongside them during concept, development and live operations by leveraging the breadth and depth of our industry leading service lines every step of the way.
MARCHING CUBE STUDIO:
We are Marching Cube, an Austin studio founded by a team of passionate developers who have created games together since 2005. We have worked on some of the biggest titles and most respected brands, and we have spent the last fifteen years working together on both original IP and licensed brands. We are known for our artistic vision, our innovation in gameplay, and for the respect and passion that we give the brands we are entrusted with.
Marching Cube (a Keywords studio) is looking for a junior to mid-level Game Designer with experience in Unreal Engine 4 for a six month contract with the possibility of contract extension and long-term employment. The ideal candidate will display competence in general game design and development principles and tasks as well as UE4 Blueprint visual scripting.
- Design Documentation – Write high-level and in-depth game design documents for features and systems using professional grammar.
- Communication – Professionally present and support game design documents and decisions in meetings with internal and external clients.
- Prototyping (Whiteboxing) – Prototype game systems, actors, widgets, and levels from design documents using UE4 Blueprint, stock assets, and other available tools.
- Polish – Iteratively work with other disciplines to take game systems, actors, and levels from rough prototypes through to a finished, quality product.
- Game Design and Development – Good understanding of core game design principles and how to interface successfully with other disciplines in game development.
- Unreal Engine 4 – Solid familiarity and comfort level with core features and principles such as asset management, level design, and Blueprint.
- UE4 Blueprint – Competence in visual scripting for actors, actor components, UMG widgets, etc. while maintaining clean, disciplined Blueprints.
- Source Control – Experience working collaboratively on software development via Perforce or another major source control system.
- Remote Work – Comfort with and capability in managing one’s own tasks and working collaboratively with remote teams using software like Jira, Slack, Discord, SharePoint, Confluence, etc.
- Degree not required, but college coursework can be used to demonstrate a candidate’s abilities in these areas.
- Experience working on game titles we can play and see your work.
- Experience working on games for VR, AR, Mixed-Reality, and similar interfaces.
- Experience working on games for consoles and mobile platforms.
- Experience using other systems in Unreal Engine 4, such as AI decision trees & blackboards, animation blueprints, Sequencer, Niagara, etc.
- Experience with Unity, Frostbite, Source, and/or other major game engines.
- Competence with C++, C#, and/or other major programming or scripting languages.
- Work alongside dynamic individuals in the gaming industry
- Work within a company with upward career growth opportunities