Game Designer II, Progression and Monetization - Unpublished Fighting Game
21 days ago
In 2009, Riot released its debut title League of Legends, which has since gone on to become the most played PC game in the world and an important driver of the dramatic growth of esports. Delivering unparalleled in-game experiences for a global audience while also building new games gives Game Designers exciting and complex problems to tackle. Game Designers at Riot craft the systems, mechanics, and content that make up a resonant player experience. We explore how to best push the boundaries of that experience to create new and engaging moments for players.
Project L is Riot's League-IP take on a competitive fighting game. As a Game Designer II on Project L, you'll report directly to the systems lead and be the designer responsible for our progression and monetization systems. You'll partner with developers from multiple disciplines to ensure that our game encourages and rewards fun, healthy play patterns for years to come. You'll be an advocate for players of all backgrounds, and you'll work with an interdisciplinary team to create systems that delight millions.
For this project, we’re looking for someone with experience in metagame system designs and a passion for building engines of long-term engagement. As development expands, you'll also be involved in conversations around additional game modes and play experiences, from tutorials to tournament design and much more.
- Create and implement long-tail reward structures and model player behavior through simulation
- Work with Revenue Strategists to build player-friendly monetization systems that surprise and delight
- Apply a scientific approach to design - identify what is compelling, how that translates to other contexts, and articulate why it works
- Openly document, share, and discuss work with other developers
- Combine co-worker and player feedback to calibrate design direction
- Design systems tailored to the needs and expectations of the fighting game community, as well as a broader audience.
- At least 2 years experience as a game designer
- Experience designing and implementing progression or monetization systems on a released title
- Solid mathematical and technical writing skills
- A background in mathematics, business, or psychology
- Familiarity with social system design
- A history developing a competitive, multiplayer, or live-service game
- Scripting experience
- Passion for fighting games
We offer medical, dental, and vision plans that cover you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children. Life insurance, parental leave, plus short-term and long-term disability coverage are also available. Riot will support your retirement benefits with a company match, and double down on your donations of time and money to non-profit charitable organizations. Balance between work and personal life is encouraged with open paid time off, and a play fund so you can broaden and deepen your personal relationship with games.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).
Don’t forget to include a resume and cover letter. We receive many applications, but we’ll notice a fun, well-written intro that shows us you Dare to Dream and Execute with Excellence.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.