Expert Facial Animator
18 days ago
That's No Moon is an independent studio of storytellers and game-makers who believe in the power of narrative-driven experiences. With a diverse team of talented developers, from some of the top game studios in the world (Naughty Dog, Infinity Ward, Bungie), our shared vision is to create the future of AAA experiences with a culture of creativity, collaboration, and responsible production practices. Our passionate team of developers help shape our studio, our projects, and our future.
We are looking for an Expert Facial Animator with a passion for creating incredible animation for a AAA title. Expect to contribute to the overall effort of creating high quality, extremely realistic and iconic facial performances in cinematics and gameplay. Responsibilities also include helping develop workflows, tools and processes used by animators. You will ensure characters are story driven, have emotional depth and clarity. You will work alongside the narrative team, tech art, character art and stage to support the unified goal in delivering compelling facial performances of the highest level!
- Create, polish and integrate AAA quality facial animations that are believable and emotionally engaging by utilizing the highest quality facial solving solution available
- Assist in establishing the overall facial animation pipeline in cinematics and gameplay, work alongside other departments to develop tools and workflow
- Collaborate with directors and leads on and off stage to ensure facial in cinematics and gameplay are cohesive
- Work with artists to analyze and critique key facial shapes
- Ensure that animation flows in a realistic way when delivering dialog with complex expression beats
- Maintain believable performances as it pertains to body and facial combined
- Ensure that character performances reflect story moments with clarity and intention
- Be proactive with troubleshooting any animation workflow and pipeline issues.
- Effectively communicate with artists, animators, engineers, designers and riggers, to give and accept feedback
- Lead and mentor animators, communicate and critique effectively
- Establish and demonstrate standard methodologies in facial and lead by example
- Participate in motion capture shoots when needed
Requirements & Skills:
- Proven Lead or Expert experience in working with scanned facial assets in the game or film industry, 4D experience a plus
- Ability to create and work in all levels of facial animation including gameplay and cinematics
- Have expert knowledge of FACS and facial anatomy
- Demo reel showing a proven understanding of all animation principles
- Experience in creating cinematic, narrative driven character performances of the highest fidelity utilizing FACS and micro expressions.
- Professional working knowledge of Maya
- Experience working with game engines
- Passionate about making games and the enthusiasm to make the best!
- Excellent problem-solving and interpersonal skills
- Flexibility in switching tasks to accommodate production priorities
- Ability to appreciate other department's perspectives
- Maintain integrity and confidence in results-oriented times
- Empathic and respected team leader
- Team oriented with a desire to mentor other animators
- Promote inclusivity, diversity and fairness
- Practice patience and be open to giving and receiving feedback
TNM considers a number of factors when determining each role's base pay range, including industry benchmarks, location, experience, and other job specific skills. In addition to base pay, this role may be eligible for other incentive compensation including equity and profit share. The estimated base pay range for this role is U.S. only and not applicable for locations outside of the U.S.
The estimated base pay range for this role is: $150k - $195k
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.
TNM offers competitive and comprehensive benefits that include medical, dental, vision, 401(k) match, flexible PTO, supplemental life and disability, and more. Eligibility to participate in these benefits may vary based on country of residence and/or part-time or temporary employment status.
That's No Moon is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, ancestry, color, citizenship, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, pregnancy, age, national origin, disability status, legally protected physical or mental disability, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.