Experienced Engine Programmer
2 days ago
Frontier is an established, market leading independent developer and publisher of videogames for PC and consoles. We have achieved serial successes across a wide variety of titles including Elite Dangerous , Planet Coaster , Jurassic World Evolution , Planet Zoo and F1 Manager . Founded in 1994, we are based in the world-leading technology cluster and historic city of Cambridge, England. With a growing team of over 800 talented people supporting our existing portfolio and ambitious future roadmap, along with our publishing label Frontier Foundry, we are passionate about creating innovative genre-leading games and authentic worlds for our communities of players.
About the Role
We have an exciting opportunity for an experienced engine systems programmer to join our highly talented and experienced engine programming team. You will help to create, develop, and maintain our Cobra engine, driven by the needs of the diverse range of games that Frontier uses it to create.
Cobra plays a huge part in our future success and enables our game teams to realise their creative visions. Your passion for engine technology will be pivotal to delivering the quality that we strive for in all our games.
About the Engine Team
Our Engine team is primarily responsible for developing and maintaining our in-house Cobra engine. It also serves as a group of domain experts to advise game teams on technical problems, best practices and use of Cobra for their games.
- Architecting and developing major features for the Cobra engine.
- Providing technical leadership for the Cobra engine.
- Driving Cobra technology forward by identifying areas for improvement and estimating the work required to achieve this.
- Writing technical documentation for Cobra systems.
- Collaborating with game development teams to develop shared technology with clean, robust and well tested implementations and APIs.
- Providing mentoring and guidance to programmers to support their growth.
- Passionate about working on under-the-hood engine systems used by many different developers across a wide variety of disciplines.
- Possess excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Have an excellent understanding of how to write maintainable systems with well-presented APIs, that run efficiently on modern hardware.
- Strong communication and documentation skills
- Able to effectively manage competing demands for your time.
- A strong generalist interested in all areas of engine development and with an expert understanding of specialised areas.
Qualifications, Skills & Experience
- Expert understanding of C++ and software engineering principles.
- Familiarity with multithreading and writing asynchronous systems.
- Expert understanding of data structures and algorithms.
- Experience developing engine systems and robust public facing APIs.
- Track record of engine systems programming in released AAA games.
- Expert understanding of what is required for Certification and release of console games.
- Expert at technical writing.
- Knowledge of how to profile and optimise game engines.
- Experience with console development.
What we can offer you
We offer the chance to work with talented and passionate people, developing and publishing sophisticated and enduring games in a creative and collaborative environment. We love what we do, and we work hard to provide outstanding experiences for our player communities. Frontier rewards this passion and determination by sharing in the company’s success and by supporting our teams to keep doing what they love.
Well-being is a big focus at Frontier and we are continually evolving how we can support our staff. We encourage a healthy work/life balance and host a range of well-being activities, initiatives and sessions to support both mental and physical health.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package
, which includes a success-based annual bonus, share option schemes, pension, life assurance, private family healthcare, flexitime working hours, enhanced maternity/paternity package, in-house subsidised catering, support with relocation, a Cycle to Work scheme and free bike servicing, and social events.
We welcome and encourage applications from qualified candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.