This job might no longer be available.
Sr Engineering Manager
Vancouver British Columbia V5G4X1 Canada
4 months ago
Job Title: Sr Engineering Manager
Organization: Mobile and Maxis Quality Verification
Company: Electronic Arts (EA)
Location: Vancouver, BC
Introduction on EA
We're EA - we've been making games for decades and have learned enough to earn our rank as a leading developer, publisher and distributor of the world's best games. Electronic Arts (NASDAQ: EA) is an 8,000-people strong, worldwide organization focused on building the world’s best digital playground. Whether you're plotting a course for SpyMouse on your mobile or your palms are sweaty from clutching your controller during intense games of FIFA 20, chances are you've played an EA game. In an industry that's changing every day - whether it's through new social channels, advancing technology, new audiences or unique opportunities for monetization - EA is positioned for growth thanks to smart business plans, strategic acquisitions, and most importantly, our creative people around the world who gather each day to unite the world through play.
As EA's first label dedicated to purely digital games, EA Mobile creates games for mobile devices, social networks and online environments that deliver seamless play anytime, anywhere, on any device. Connecting a market of more than one billion core and mass-casual gamers worldwide, EA Mobile delivers engaging, accessible, high-quality games to people of all skill levels and interests.
EA is the world leader in mobile gaming with a portfolio of mobile hits including FIFA, The Simpsons: Tapped Out, Real Racing, The Sims, Plants VS Zombies, Scrabble, Monopoly, and Bejeweled Blitz. The mobile gaming market continues to grow exponentially year over year and EA’s portfolio of world-class brands, access to external IP, and ability to create original hits puts the company in a unique position to increase this leadership position. Critical to this growth is EA’s ability to maintain our massive engaged audience and to successfully migrate these players to new games as they launch into the marketplace.
Do you want to make making games better? The Sr Engineering Manager will partner with with the Technical Leads at a number of our studios and with internal stakeholders to review and refine requirements, then manage your development teams to develop designs, execution, and delivery plans, then track and coordinate the development, delivery, and successful adoption of our technology by the users.
On the technology side, you will leverage technologies and experiences from EA’s strong automation ecosystem, your mission will be to drive machine learning and risk-based testing techniques into our automation practices. You also will be writing tools which directly support development efforts to produce and ship our games, as well as advocating for best practices through tools and process.
Our ideal candidate will have well-rounded developer and stakeholder management skills. All the while having a solid technology background to provide clear vision, mission, and the strategies to execute and deliver on quality engineering solutions. The role requires a personality type that is outgoing, dynamic, enthusiastic and able to network successfully across a large number of groups and individuals in both the development and quality assurance domains to build and maintain excellent relationships and communications channels.
Join a team where you make a direct impact on our games every day and are challenged and supported to grow and evolve as an engineer! Check out these videos to see who we are and what you will be doing:
- Champion quality and performance. Define uncompromising target metrics and create processes and culture to exceed them.
- Manage the line-managers to improve team efficiency by identifying bottlenecks and proposing solutions.
- Facilitate collaboration efforts for other team members/teams/groups across multiple labels and business units.
- Identify process improvement initiatives that will gain efficiencies, cost or quality that impact multiple teams.
- Work with development teams and internal stakeholders (partner teams, product teams, users, etc) to refine requirements for development.
- Manage the development plan, schedule, and process for multiple simultaneous projects, including tasks, resources, quality, time, priorities, and costs
- Collaborate and manage partnerships with internal technical partners.
- Communicate technical architecture, strategy, details, and status to non-technical stakeholders.
- Identify and resolve risks to the delivery of quality products
- Share knowledge internally. Apply lessons learned by other teams and align with the broader EA's technology portfolio.
- Define and drive engineering best practices that enable the team to execute on time and quality
- Acting as a single point of contact for discipline at the project level, including liaising with key external partners, i.e. Studio Tech & Tools, Ops, Platform teams.
- Own people and career development for leads, and ensuring there is effective craft leadership for the wider engineering team
- Bachelor degree in Computer Science or related field.
- 5+ years in software development leadership positions.
- 5+ years in hands-on software development roles.
- Proven track record in the design, develop, scale, and rollout test automation systems.
- Proven track record in gathering and refine use cases and turn them into requirements and designs.
- Proven track record of building high-performance teams and institutionalizing a strong development culture.
- Demonstrated success in leading a team to deliver results while tracking progress and manage risks.
- Demonstrated knowledge of good software engineering practices and processes. Strong understanding of Agile/Scrum and knowing how to connect between the iterative-process and high-level programs and milestones.
- Broad knowledge of and experience with web and mobile game development.
- Good communication and documentation skills.
- Hands-on experience with smartphones game development in a connected environment.
- Experience with major programming languages such as C#, Python, C++, etc.
- Experience with Web Technologies.
- Experience with automation test
- Experience with tools & services development.
- Experience working with a team spread across multiple locations.