Engineering Manager - Engineering Velocity & Enablement, Defence
5 months ago
Your mission is to grow and lead one of our Engineering Velocity and Enablement (EVE) teams. Your focus will be split between a blend of hands on engineering and pastoral management of your direct reports.
The EVE team is responsible for enabling our engineering teams to be effective at developing and deploying this pioneering simulation capability. You’ll frequently find yourself innovating on tooling and processes to improve productivity and inputting into platform development.
Areas for Impact
- You will run an important part of our engineering group; the teams enabling our synthetic environment platform offering.
- You will understand the business drivers, functionality requirements, architecture, and technologies behind the products and systems you own and provide context and visibility into the reasoning behind decisions whilst empowering your engineers to independently execute.
- You will be responsible for decomposing complex problems into pragmatic straight-forward solutions with your team and planning the time and resources needed for successful project delivery.
- You will grow a team of successful engineers through collaborative development planning, coaching, and empowerment through strategic goals
- You will collaborate with other EMs and Senior SWEs/Principals to determine the strategic direction and long-term viability of your software architecture, both from a business and technology standpoint.
- You will help to shape the team’s software development practices as well as contributing to the software design process, reviewing code and making individual contributions where possible.
We'd like to hear from you if you identify with the following:
- You an experienced engineering manager with a clear focus on managing the development and growth of software engineers. You ascribe to the idea of servant-leadership and are motivated by the success of your teams.
- You have experience leading DevOps/ SRE engineering teams
- You have led high-performing, happy teams building complex modern software with particular influence over product strategy and delivery.
- You have spent a proportion of your career as an engineer, leveraging that knowledge to coach and develop your reports.
- You are an empathetic communicator who can navigate tricky situations, having tough conversations where necessary, and being objective and structured in your approach to all personnel matters.
- From your time as a hands on engineer, you will have gained experience within cloud deployment projects, with solid technical knowledge across cloud technologies, containerization (Kubernetes) , CI/CD pipelines , build systems , configuration management tooling etc.
While we think the above experience could be important, we’re keen to hear from people that believe they have valuable experience to bring to the role. If you identify with the team and mission, but not all of our requirements, then please still apply.
Improbable is determined to foster an environment where people can do their best work and feel like they belong. We believe a healthy culture, strong values and contribution from a diverse range of individuals will help us to achieve success.
We do not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, gender, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any other legally protected status.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.