Engineering Manager, Backend
11 days ago
Skillz is driving the future of entertainment by accelerating the convergence of sports, video games and media for a booming mobile-first audience worldwide. The company’s platform empowers mobile game developers and players with access to fun and fair competition for real prizes, shifting the paradigm to make esports accessible to anyone, anywhere.
Skillz helps developers build multi-million dollar game franchises by turning content into competitive social gaming properties for the world’s 2.6 billion gamers. The company has already worked with 20,000 game developers, leveraging its patented technology to host billions of casual esports tournaments for 30 million players worldwide.
Last year, Skillz was recognized as one of Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies and CNBC Disruptor 50 (for the second time). In 2018, Skillz was listed as one of Forbes’ Next Billion-Dollar Startups and Entrepreneur Magazine’s 100 Brilliant Companies. In 2017, Inc. Magazine ranked Skillz the No. 1 fastest-growing private company in America.
The company is backed by leading venture capitalists, media companies, and professional sports luminaries, ranging from Liberty Global, Accomplice, Wildcat Capital, Telstra Ventures, and a founder of Great Hill Partners to the owners of the New England Patriots, Milwaukee Bucks, New York Mets, and Sacramento Kings.
What you'll do:
- You will be responsible for leading a team of top-talent engineers to build and deliver highly available, scalable and secure cloud infrastructure and platform services
- Develop and track detailed schedules, dependencies and critical paths
- Effectively collaborate with all project stakeholders i.e. Product Management and Mobile Client Engineers
- Clearly communicate with upper management any risk areas; come up with risk mitigation plans
- Encourage and drive initiatives which promote innovation and technical excellence
- Hire, retain, and develop the careers of the engineers on your team
- Coach and motivate your team to ensure high productivity and teamwork, and help each individual achieve their potential
- Interface with other internal teams to prioritize features and functionality based on the resources available and business priorities
- Conduct periodic on call duties as needed on a regular scheme basis
- Bachelor’s or Master degree (preferred) in Computer Science or equivalent and 8+ years of related experience in software industry
- 3+ years of experience managing and growing a high-performing engineering team
- Excellent people management skills - communication, teamwork, and leadership
- Ability to coach and motivate team members for their ongoing career growth
- Proven success leading projects in fast-paced, growing-organization environment
- Strong cross-functional organizational skills
- Fluent in one or more of: Jave, Go, C++ or Ruby
- Deep (hands-on) experience in containerization, Kubernetes, cloud services frameworks, design and develop successful large scale distributed systems on public clouds (AWS, Azure, GCP)
- Experience in operations, include running and maintaining software, operating a large public cloud deployment, creating and triaging alerts around the health and security
- Designing, analyzing and troubleshooting large-scale distributed systems
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically about business, product, and technical challenges