Director of Engineering
20 days ago
Who We Are
OtherSide Entertainment is an independent game studio with remote staff throughout North America. Our mission is to create deeply immersive games that draw players into richly imagined worlds; games that empower players to choose their own play-style, making their experience unique and personal; games that encourage players to team up with their friends and weave their own shared narrative; the kind of games that are powered by our players’ vision as much as our own. Together, we aim to evolve the “player-authored” tradition of Ultima Underworld, System Shock, Thief, and Deus Ex – all games developed by the company’s founders, Paul Neurath and Warren Spector.
We are looking for a Director of Engineering who is excited to lead an engineering team while helping multiple project teams deliver great games. Our teams includes some of the industry’s top developers with a heritage of award-winning top-tier games, and we have crafted a unique culture that values smaller teams and celebrates tight collaboration. This is an environment that empowers individuals to make the kind of impact that is simply impossible when they are cogs in a giant machine.
As the Director of Engineering at OtherSide Entertainment, you will be responsible for overseeing and managing the engineering needs for our Unreal multiplayer game projects from the inception of development through the tenure of the live service. The ideal candidate will have both experience in technical direction as well as excellent communication and team building skills. Your expertise will influence technical decision making, drive strategy and lead a high-performing team of engineers. This position will report to and work closely with the studio CEO, who will partner with you on your personal development and career goals.
- Lead and mentor a distributed team of talented industry engineers, providing technical guidance and support to ensure the team is delivering quality work on time and within budget.
- Foster a culture of innovation and collaboration within the engineering team, encouraging team members to share best practices across projects.
- Build upon our tech stack, ensuring that it provides a robust platform to develop and support our games when the go live.
- Foster strong technical relationships with stakeholders, both internally and externally.
- Stay up to date with industry trends and emerging technologies in gaming, recommending improvements to enhance our development processes.
- 8+ years proven technical leadership experience. Some game industry experience is a requirement.
- Proven experience as a Software Engineer in the games industry (or related software industry) with strong knowledge of Unreal.
- Excellent problem-solving skills and the ability to diagnose and resolve complex technical issues.
- Leadership skills with a proven ability to lead and mentor a team of engineers.
- Persuasive communication skills to effectively collaborate with cross-functional teams and convey technical concepts to non-technical stakeholders.
- Experience working with multiplayer or online games.
- Knowledge and passion for immersive sims games.
- Knowledge of Unreal Engine 5.
- Ideal candidates will have shipped at least one game in a team environment.
- Shipping multiple titles and top-tier games are a plus.
Our people-first approach to game development celebrates diversity, and strives to create a safe and inclusive working environment where everyone is treated equally, with dignity, and with respect. We highly encourage candidates from diverse and under-represented backgrounds to apply, even those that may not directly meet every qualification listed for this role.
This is a full-time, remote working role, with competitive compensation and a full suite of benefits available anywhere in the United States. All team members may be asked to occasionally travel for key meetings, as part of their job responsibilities. We're required to include a reasonable estimate of the compensation range for this role. Compensation decisions are dependent on the unique facts and circumstances of each case, but a reasonable estimate of the current base salary range for this role is $180,000 - $230,000.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.
We review and update our salary range bands at OtherSide Entertainment on an annual basis to provide transparency to the expected base salary ranges on our job posts externally as well as internally. Most in-house employee roles also include discretionary variable bonus compensation as well as long-term incentive. Our recruiter will share more details about bonus and LTI for this role in your screening or throughout your interview process as it becomes available. Final compensation determinations are dependent on the unique facts and circumstances of each case and will take into account a wide variety of factors, including but not limited to skill, qualifications, accomplishments, experience, credentials, and business needs. We look forward to and welcome discussion on this topic at any time during the interview process.
OtherSide Entertainment is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please contact us.