This job might no longer be available.
Design Lead, Mobile
Irvine, CA, United States
6 months ago
Blizzard Entertainment has been rated by Fortune as one of the "Best Places to Work" for several years running (and our ranking continues to rise!). We are a diverse community of 4000 global employees who are passionate about not only gaming, but creating epic entertainment and the technology that drives our customers’ experience. Our goal is to delight our customers by never settling for anything but the highest quality and providing worlds filled with creativity and adventure around every corner.
The Battle.net & Online Products (B&OP) organization is home to technology that powers Blizzard Entertainment’s games. Whether you’re playing one of our titles, chatting with friends, or just shopping online, B&OP ensures that our players are immersed in engaging, exciting, and secure experiences.
Our Mobile team is looking for an enthusiastic Design Lead to help drive strategic vision, ignite real passion for all things mobile, and lead our design efforts across a breadth of native mobile and connected apps. From oversight on apps such as a Mobile Battle.net, Blizzard Authenticator and BlizzCon to generating paradigm-shifting new ideas – we need someone to be a fire-starter for new concepts and strategic initiatives while helping build consensus and adoption for the team’s empowering platform technology portfolio across global Blizzard teams and organizations.
The ideal design lead combines extensive skills in mobile product, interaction, and visual design to craft a cohesive, inspiring and thoughtful experience across Blizzard’s mobile products. This means applying a deep passion for UX design and gaming to help inform research needs, and mobile product strategy while collaborating with other discipline leaders to champion design thinking and state-of-the-art technology and using these design techniques across all of Blizzard’s products on mobile.
Our team is a multi-faceted group of product-thinking technologists who live, eat and breathe mobile. The team is searching for teammates who are iterative, gamers or creators and persistent in producing amazing mobile experiences. Our work spans a variety of missions but overall the team rallies behind the idea of bringing our legendary Blizzard signature to mobile in every way possible.
- Guide user experience design and design direction of new and current native Blizzard mobile products, including Batte.net App, Blizzard Authenticator and our event app for BlizzCon, using user-centered design methodologies to iterate on their development via feedback sessions, data analysis and usability testing
- Champion programs and initiatives for mobile to company leadership via various avenues, including strategy decks, wireframes, flowcharts, prototypes, feature matrices and mock-ups informed by analytics, competitive analysis, interviews, and other methods of testing, all while building close relationships with product managers, engineers, user researchers, content strategists, and quality assurance analysts to maintain strong product and team alignment
- Foster a culture of excellence for mobile strategy across Blizzard, communicating and encouraging the adoption of a portfolio of platform services, and prioritizing alignment of integrated and thoughtful experiences across Blizzard apps. To get us there, you’ll use style guides, develop design systems, evangelize user research, and shared workflow processes, but you’ll also continuously integrate feedback and explore the possibilities of new mobile experiences
- Lead & develop a team of all-star mobile designers, and act as a pillar of team leadership alongside your peers in Engineering and Product Management. You’ll guide active team and talent planning, partner management, performance management and recognition for your team
- See the world through a mobile lens
- BA/BS degree in Design (e.g. interaction, graphic, visual communications, product, industrial), HCI, CS, or a related field or equivalent industry experience
- Minimum of 8 years as user experience designer, interaction designer, program manager, or similar
- Minimum of 5 years as a mobile design or product design leader
- A portfolio demonstrating a track record of perfection in delivering mobile or multi-platform products
- Authoritative knowledge of device and operating system-specific (iOS and Android) design patterns and usability best practices
- Knowledge and experience in defining high-level product strategy to create clarity from ambiguity
- Experience in using ownership and accountability to empower, mentor and lead up-and-coming designers
- Capacity to provide clear design direction, encouragement and actionable feedback to team members
- Strong initiative to tackle problems with excellent follow-through
- Appreciation for a collaborative culture–you truly enjoy working with others
- Attention to detail and proven organizational skills
- Friendly, positive attitude and open-mindedness
A plus if you have:
- Experience working within Agile/Kanban development teams
- Strong desire to work on interactive and multi-platform entertainment products
Applicants must submit (i) a resume and (ii) and URL or PDF of your portfolio. We don't require cover letters but deeply appreciate them when submitted.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
Blizzard Entertainment is a global company committed to growing our employees. We offer generous benefits and perks with an eye on providing true work / life balance. We’ve worked hard to foster an intensely collaborative and creative environment, a diverse and inclusive employee culture, and training and opportunity for professional growth. Our people are everything. Our core values are real, and our mission has never changed. We are dedicated to creating the most epic entertainment experiences…ever. Join us!