Cinematic Designer (Contract)
14 days ago
Ascendant Studios is looking for the help of a cinematic designer to implement our realtime cutscenes content in collaboration with our animation and level design teams. This person will have a strong technical background and excellent communication skills, as well as an eye for the artistic side of cinematics.
This is a full time, temporary position. We are all currently working remotely due to Covid-19, but once we return the position may either be based in our office in San Rafael, CA, or remain fully remote.
- Lead initial setup of cinematics in sequencer, including creating submaps, triggers, and actors.
- Use Sequencer to manage all sublevel maps related to the cinematic to ensure visual fidelity and performance on platform
- Own transition between gameplay and cinematics
- Collaborate with level design to manage actors inside cinematics that transition to/from gameplay
- Be the go-to person for Animation, Audio, VFX, and Lighting to assist them in creating great scenes by working on timing, pacing, and placement.
- Work with the Art Director and Lead Animator to faithfully execute the director’s vision for each cinematic.
- Identify and fix bugs in cinematics, propose workflows and methodologies to speed up and bulletproof the production process.
- Shipped at least one videogame title in a cinematic implementation, design, or a related role
- Previous work implementing real time cinematics in interactive applications using a game engine (Unreal, Unity, Frostbite, etc.)
- Experience working with Sequencer, Matinee, Timeline/Cinemachine, similar multitrack editors
- Awareness of and experience with real-time workflows and their limitations.
Good to Have:
- Prior experience with Unreal Engine 4 Sequencer and Blueprints
- Background in animation, level design, or gameplay engineering