This job might no longer be available.
Chief Content Officer
1 month ago
Skillz is the leading mobile games platform connecting players in fair, fun, and meaningful competition.
The gaming industry is larger than movies, music, and books, with more than 2.7 billion gamers playing monthly and 10 million developers worldwide. Mobile is the fastest-growing segment of the gaming market, expected to increase from $86 billion last year to $161 billion in 2025.
As the first publicly-traded (NYSE: SKLZ) mobile esports platform, Skillz has pioneered the future of the gaming industry. The Skillz platform helps developers build multi-million dollar franchises by enabling social competition in their games. Leveraging its patented technology, Skillz hosts billions of casual esports tournaments for millions of mobile players worldwide, and distributes millions in prizes each month.
Through its philanthropic initiatives, Skillz has harnessed the power of its platform to transform the way nonprofits engage with donors, enabling anyone with a mobile device to support causes such as the American Red Cross , Susan G. Komen , American Cancer Society , and NAACP by playing in Skillz tournaments.
Skillz has also earned recognition as one of San Francisco Business Times’ Best Places to Work , Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies , Parity.org’s Best Companies for Women to Advance , a two-time winner of CNBC’s Disruptor 50 , one of Forbes’ Next Billion-Dollar Startups , and the #1 fastest-growing company in America on the Inc. 5000.
Chief Content Officer will have a broad charter to accelerate the success of Skillz. Multiplayer games and experiences are key ingredients to driving growth. This role will drive the overall content vision, strategy, and roadmap leading to the creation, launch, and operations of marquee content on Skillz. Today the content on Skillz is games, but this role will also oversee content expansion into verticals such as education and fitness as the company grows. As a comprehensive content owner, the position will manage an eight-figure investment budget and guide multiple teams, including player acquisition and monetization, player relationship management, and running games as a service. This position will report to the Chief Product Officer and work closely with the executive team, including the Chief Revenue Officer and Product and Sales leaders.
Skillz is in a unique place in its evolution. The platform's technical roadmap extends its capabilities to address more real-time game use cases. The platform has a solid product-market fit, and there are early successes with Tether and Big Run studio’s casual games. Our partnerships with NFL and UFC are intended to provide fuel and branding for game developers to create higher quality and recognizable content.
We are disrupting how games are monetized and inventing a new paradigm for game publishing. The ideal person for this role is a builder, strategic thinker, and not afraid to change and challenge the existing paradigms in games. The person can triangulate across player needs from games, technology platform evolution, and the business of publishing to invent and scale content at Skillz.
- Own the content slate and overall portfolio investment strategy for games
- Develop a deep understanding of player behavior and motivations for prize-based competition in different genres and geographies
- Drive publishing partnerships with video gaming developers to create differentiated experiences on Skillz
- Lead a team of Game GMs to drive the growth of revenue and active players in individual games
- Lead a team of game producers to create the world's first mobile competition-as-a-service platform for iOS/Android game development studios across hundreds of top games
- Directly oversee the production of games that will be published by Skillz while also influencing and guiding the roadmaps of the thousands of developers building games that they will be publishing
- Partner with cross-functional leaders in Product Management, Engineering, Sales, and Marketing regarding ensuring the success of games on the platform
- Collect and analyze game data to provide insight into how to optimize the Skillz system and games; maintain a deep understanding of the whole revenue funnel, ownership of all changes, and ability to accurately project the downstream impact of those changes
Core Experience Attributes:
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.
- Passionate about games and the mission of Skillz
- 15+ years of development experience in games, sports, and eSports as an executive such as head of the game studio, head of product, or head of the game production
- Strategic thinker with proven experience in managing a portfolio of games and allocating capital to grow the business
- Ability to communicate effectively at all levels, internally and externally. Can be effective with cross-functional teams and across various formats - strategic planning, roadmaps, technical design specs, and external-facing presentations.
- Track record of delivering games/publishing games at an industry-wide scale and $100M+ revenues
- Understands split testing and using metrics to drive products. Also, understand how to take customer feedback and interest and prioritize it correctly.