Characters Technical Artist F/M/NB
1 month ago
As a Character Technical Artist at Ubisoft Annecy, you’ll help build a game user interface that’s visually impactful while maintaining its cutting-edge performance.
To achieve this, you bridge the worlds of the artist, riggers and the programmer, acting as an interpreter and problem-solver. Thanks to you, creation and tech collaborate cohesively and efficiently, on budget and deadline, using the most appropriate tools and pipelines.
While keeping device and user limitations in mind, you ensure all characters can be rendered without compromising the artistic vision, on the one hand, or busting your memory budget on the other, setting benchmarks for character creation along the way.
You’re the development team’s hybrid specialist, speaking both from the heart and the mind, with your eye on AAA quality.
What you’ll do
- Establish efficient and clear pipelines + create character tools libraries;
- Work closely with Character Artists and Rigging Artists to reflect their intentions by prototyping features;
- Benchmark character creation through research and testing;
- Integrate, debug, and optimize character assets in the engine;
- Communicate and collaborate with interdependent teams to find the perfect balance between aesthetic quality and technical functionality;
- Monitor character creation best practices, tools, and trends to evolve our methods and bring about player-centric improvements;
- Investigate, develop, and implement new techniques to drive the team’s characters to the forefront of the video game industry and set new standards.
- You have proven Technical Art experience in the video game industry, especially working closely with character teams
- You’re comfortable scripting in Python
- Character libraries and their limitations have no secrets for you!
- You have a desire to share your knowledge and expertise to push the boundaries of technology & help others improve their skills
- You’re always keeping performance in mind and making sure assets are optimized
- You’re familiar with 3D software’s, ideally 3DS Max and have experienced multiple game engines making you able to adapt easily to inhouse technologies
Ubisoft’s 19,000 team members, working across more than 30 countries around the world, are bound by a common mission to enrich players’ lives with original and memorable gaming experiences. Their commitment and talent have brought to life many acclaimed franchises such as Assassin’s Creed, Far Cry, Watch Dogs, Just Dance, Rainbow Six, and many more to come.
Ubisoft is an equal opportunity employer that believes diverse backgrounds and perspectives are key to creating worlds where both players and teams can thrive and express themselves. If you are excited about solving game-changing challenges, cutting edge technologies, and pushing the boundaries of entertainment, we invite you to join our journey and help us create the unknown.
Ubisoft is committed to creating an inclusive work environment that reflects the diversity of our player community. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age or disability status.
All information will be treated as confidential in accordance with the Employment Equity Act.
Check out this guide to help you with your application, and learn about our actions to encourage more diversity and inclusion.
Founded in 1996, Ubisoft Annecy has developed many sagas, especially on Splinter Cell, Assassin’s Creed®, while focusing on multiplayer online and social aspects, and also on concrete game mandates such as Tom Clancy’s: The Division 2® and Ghost Recon Wildlands. We are now proud to have developed our own IP, Steep and more recently Riders Republic!
On top of our AAA production, we are working on innovation with a technological expertise hub around the Snowdrop engine pipeline, and Technology Group in collaboration with Ubisoft Montreal.
Located in one of the most dynamic regions of France, our Ubisoft studio is settled between lake and mountains, in the middle of Annecy, also known as the Venice of the Alps, 30 minutes away from Geneva International Airport. Having a studio with perpetual growth, we are focusing on our team members' commitment and team work. Our ambition relies on innovation and excellence with an ultimate purpose: our players' satisfaction!
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.