Character Artist - SENIOR
4 months ago
As a Character Artist at Ubi Quebec, you'll create people, creatures, and animals for players to interact and connect with. You’ll combine your artistic and technical talents to form the physical features that define the characters that live within our worlds.
You enjoy the detailed, versatile, far-from-boring character development process. To you, creating new blend shapes, good edge flow, and optimized meshes are opportunities to push your skills. Always eager to improve, you’re constantly on the lookout for feedback to refine your art and build the best foundation for characters to be brought to life.
What you’ll do
- Collaborate with the art and narrative teams to understand the game’s creative and artistic visions.
- Study concept art & narrative guidelines and research your own references to prototype character features (face, physique, clothing, etc.).
- Develop and polish your character art throughout the 3D pipeline (modelling, sculpting, texturing, retopologizing, UV unwrapping, etc.).
- Find balance between artistic aspects and technical constraints to achieve aesthetic quality and technical functionality.
- Partner with riggers and animators to make characters move believably.
- Adapt your work based on feedback from play testers and interdependent teams.
What you bring
- A college diploma in 3D Modelling, Fine Art, or equivalent (undergraduate degree an asset)
- At least 5 years of experience in modelling, texturing, or other related experience
- Knowledge of 2D art tools (e.g. Photoshop) and 3D software (3DS Max, Maya, Substance Painter, Marvelous Designer, and ZBrush) *
- Solid understanding of topology, materials, textures, proportion, and anatomy + animation and game limitations (poly count, memory, etc.)
- A highly creative, collaborative, and innovative spirit
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Motivation to reach out for feedback and adapt to it
*Knowledge of 3D scanning and optimization techniques, a huge plus
What to send our way
Your CV, highlighting your education, experience, and skills
A portfolio of your best 3D work – especially the transition of a 2D design into a 3D character! Attach images or send us a link to your personal website or online portfolio.
Ubisoft’s 19,000 team members, working across more than 40 locations around the world, are boundby a common mission to enrich players’ lives with original and memorable gaming experiences. Their dedication and talent has brought to life many acclaimed franchises such as Assassin’s Creed, Far Cry, Watch Dogs, Just Dance, Rainbow Six, and many more to come. Ubisoft is an equal opportunity employer that believes diverse backgrounds and perspectives are key to creating worlds where both players and teams can thrive and express themselves. If you are excited about solving game-changing challenges, cutting edge technologies and pushing the boundaries of entertainment, we invite you to join our journey !
With a team of more than 500 talented, innovative and passionate creators, Ubisoft Quebec keeps on growing and continues its ascension. Founded in 2005, the studio has been involved in several key Ubisoft franchises over the years, developing cutting-edge expertise in major AAA game development. Involved in the Assassin's Creed franchise since 2010, the Quebec team recently assumed the leadership of Assassin's Creed Odyssey, the latest installment in the critically acclaimed series. The team has just finished working on a brand new game, Immortals Fenyx Rising.