Game Designer - Casual Games
2 months ago
Kwalee is one of the world’s leading multiplatform game publishers and developers, with well over 750 million downloads worldwide for mobile hits such as Draw It, Teacher Simulator, Let’s Be Cops 3D, Airport Security and Makeover Studio 3D. Alongside this, we also have a growing PC and Console team of incredible pedigree that is on the hunt for great new titles to join TENS!, Eternal Hope, Die by the Blade and Scathe.
We have a team of talented people collaborating daily between our studios in Leamington Spa, Bangalore and Beijing, or on a remote basis from Turkey, Brazil, the Philippines and many more places, and we’ve recently acquired our first external studio, TicTales which is based in France. We have a truly global team making games for a global audience. And it’s paying off: Kwalee has been recognised with the Best Large Studio and Best Leadership awards from TIGA (The Independent Game Developers’ Association) and our games have been downloaded in every country on earth!
Founded in 2011 by David Darling CBE, a key architect of the UK games industry who previously co-founded and led Codemasters for many years, our team also includes legends such as Andrew Graham (creator of Micro Machines series) and Jason Falcus (programmer of classics including NBA Jam) alongside a growing and diverse team of global gaming experts. Everyone contributes creatively to Kwalee’s success, with all employees eligible to pitch their own game ideas on Creative Wednesdays, and we’re proud to have built our success on this inclusive principle. Could your idea be the next global hit?
What’s the job?
As a Game Designer for Casual Games you have experience conceptualising and designing engaging mechanics and metagame. You’ll work closely with every department to craft new games and improve existing titles.
What you tell your friends you do
“My mission is that you enjoy our games so much that you won’t be able to stop playing!”
What you will really be doing
- Working as part of the design team, designing exciting mechanics and strong UX implementations for existing and upcoming games with a focus on strong engagement.
- Working with monetisation designers to seamlessly weave IAP strategies into your designs.
- Evolving and adapting game designs based on play testing, feedback and live metrics.
- Working with the analytics department, driving long term player engagement by understanding mobile players needs and motivations.
- Analysis of emerging F2P gameplay & monetisation trends
How you will be doing this
- You’ll be part of an agile, multidisciplinary and creative team and work closely with them to ensure the best results.
- You'll think creatively and be motivated by challenges and constantly striving for the best.
- You’ll work with cutting edge technology, if you need software or hardware to get the job done efficiently, you will get it. We even have a robot!
Our talented team is our signature. We have a highly creative atmosphere with more than 200 staff where you’ll have the opportunity to contribute daily to important decisions. You’ll work within an extremely experienced, passionate and diverse team, including David Darling and the creator of the Micro Machines video games.
Skills and requirements
- A minimum of 3 years experience in a game design role.
- Experience working with F2P mobile games.
- Working knowledge of the Unity engine.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong knowledge of mobile free-to-play game monetisation.
- Knowledge of mobile game market, trends, competition, platforms and app stores.
- Ability to work creatively in a demanding team environment.
- Absolute passion for playing and making video games, especially mobile games.
- Strong creative ideas and imagination, able to entertain players with challenges, humour, surprises and fun.
- Positive attitude, self driven and able to work alone or as part of a team.
- Creative writing skills.
- Coding / prototyping skills.
- Experience of mobile game live ops, A/B testing and telemetry.
We firmly believe in creativity and innovation and that a fundamental requirement for a successful and happy company is having the right mix of individuals. With the right people in the right environment anything and everything is possible.
Kwalee makes games to bring people, their stories, and their interests together. As an employer, we’re dedicated to making sure that everyone can thrive within our team by welcoming and supporting people of all ages, races, colours, beliefs, sexual orientations, genders and circumstances. With the inclusion of diverse voices in our teams, we bring plenty to the table that’s fresh, fun and exciting; it makes for a better environment and helps us to create better games for everyone! This is how we move forward as a company – because these voices are the difference that make all the difference.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.